General Election

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: General Election

Post by SheepRanger » Sat May 20, 2017 1:38 pm

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... k-evidence

Refers to evidence but doesnt state any other than Corbyn is getting twice as much airtime. Considering their policies and Abbott and Rayner gaffs Id expect nothing less. Their manufesto was also released before the Tory one.

The other articles seem fair but Corbyn has a chequered past and his current views do need clarifying. Its hard to know whether he truely believes in some of the current policies. Is it bias or investigative jounalism? But can see where youre coming from

Did Labour complain of such bias during the Blair/Brown years in government?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat May 20, 2017 2:03 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:38 pm
Did Labour complain of such bias during the Blair/Brown years in government?
As a centre right party then, it didn't need to :wink:

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat May 20, 2017 2:30 pm

There is no doubt whatsoever regarding media bias. Take for example the post war election that brought a Labour landslide and far reaching changes like nationalisation and the creation of the NHS. The press, like now, were biased against Labour, but the public were more savvy then and well aware of it. BBC radio was very neutral then. Few people had TV and of course there was no internet. Now many people are bombarded with ill informed and biased rubbish and due to years of stupifying, standards-lowering TV, are far less capable of original thought and action.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 pm
Damien wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:43 am
shirt
The selfish and stupid will unfortunately prevail yet again when the polls open. Don't know why Labour are voting for a GE as they have zero chance, and will just be further humiliated. You think it's bad in England - we may have 2 bloody elections here in NI this summer (not that I'll be voting in either). I save my politicking for cyber-space now.
For those who think there's been a lot of Corbyn bashing have seem some balance today. Torys getting a slating.

From what I can see is that you get taxed during your life with Labour or lose everything with the Torys on death when you want to pass these things on. Big mistake by the Torys who are gambling that the rich will pay for their care and sit next to those who get it free. This goes against Maggies cascading wealth vision.

With a decent Labour leader I might have had a decission to make even though Im in that top 1%. But post Brexit Labour will have a very good opportunity in the following election.

This election isnt over yet and Im getting sick of the constant 'strong and stable' leadership mantra.
May certainly seems to have shot herself in the foot alright. Her arrogance is beyond belief, but she'll still win - though her majority may not as big a she expected.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat May 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm
You lot and the media are like a broken record. The Tory woman on QT last night was well and truly slaughtered for all to see and all news stations had a go at the manifesto. Anybody would think the entire country buy newspapers!
Not just the newspapers; I was at the gym this morning and Sky news was on, the message they constantly pushed for the 20-25 minutes I was able to watch for was that a vote for Labour was a complete waste of a vote. No substance to back the claim up just denigrate the people in the Labour party and ignore any aspect of their policies and manifesto. It's a flipping disgrace that they, and the others, are not only allowed to get away with it, but the people who will be hardest hit by a Tory government will be the hardest hit. Talk about turkey's voting for Thanksgiving/ Christmas. I haven't seen a single article on TV ( I stopped buying newspapers in the last century) where labour's manifesto has been fairly treated.
On a tangent; all the abuse that Diane Abbott (rightfully) got for her atrocious grasp of basic economics yet not a word when May does just the same, or worse, depending on your opinion. When the people are more concerned with who is featured in a celebrity magazine or winning a fake talent contest than they are with who is running the country it makes you question your own version of reality. It's rare these days to see anyone under the age of 40 who isn't walking around with their phone and using it as they do so. A modern day Talking Dead. WTF has happened to people? (Rhetorical)
nailonhead

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Sat May 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 pm
Damien wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:43 am
shirt
The selfish and stupid will unfortunately prevail yet again when the polls open. Don't know why Labour are voting for a GE as they have zero chance, and will just be further humiliated. You think it's bad in England - we may have 2 bloody elections here in NI this summer (not that I'll be voting in either). I save my politicking for cyber-space now.
For those who think there's been a lot of Corbyn bashing have seem some balance today. Torys getting a slating.

From what I can see is that you get taxed during your life with Labour or lose everything with the Torys on death when you want to pass these things on. Big mistake by the Torys who are gambling that the rich will pay for their care and sit next to those who get it free. This goes against Maggies cascading wealth vision.

With a decent Labour leader I might have had a decission to make even though Im in that top 1%. But post Brexit Labour will have a very good opportunity in the following election.

This election isnt over yet and Im getting sick of the constant 'strong and stable' leadership mantra.
May certainly seems to have shot herself in the foot alright. Her arrogance is beyond belief, but she'll still win - though her majority may not as big a she expected.
Ain't over till the fat lady sings.
QPR shit but local

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat May 20, 2017 6:41 pm

It was and always will be the sun that won it
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat May 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Another example of bias. The media has yet to question the mysterious "means testing" of the Winter Fuel Allowance. The media should be saying "you are going to limit this payment to those on pension credit, because means testing 12m pensioners would be too unwieldy and expensive, is that not true ?" But no, they've just let it go unchallenged.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat May 20, 2017 11:19 pm

222gers wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:11 pm
Another example of bias. The media has yet to question the mysterious "means testing" of the Winter Fuel Allowance. The media should be saying "you are going to limit this payment to those on pension credit, because means testing 12m pensioners would be too unwieldy and expensive, is that not true ?" But no, they've just let it go unchallenged.
It was widely discussed on LBC around 6pm Friday night. They ripped into it on the Iain Dale show.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun May 21, 2017 1:18 am

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 am

222gers wrote:
Which bits of the "media" are biased? And, assuming you are monitoring all the "media", which bits are more biased than others (unless it is a generally equal level of bias)?

All the papers are owned by very rich people so the chances of them not favouring the Tories is slim to nil.

As for TV, all the politicians will lie so anything with a politician (or supporter) in can't be trusted to be of any use.

Which really only leaves the option of using your brain to think about what has been happening in the country when there are no elections happening (and there have been a few months). But then that won't catch on with enough people to make a difference either.

So it'll be down to who has the best slogans and sound bites --- and who the voters (rather stupidly?) like best of those "leaders" put forward to promote the ideas of the fairly faceless people behind the scenes who actually decide policy and make all the important decisions.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun May 21, 2017 9:07 am

DAVEf wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 am
222gers wrote:
Which really only leaves the option of using your brain
Is there a mobile phone app for this?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun May 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Latest opinion poll shows the two parties neck and neck.....

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun May 21, 2017 3:45 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 1:27 pm
Which poll is that, 222gers?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun May 21, 2017 4:02 pm

dm wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 3:45 pm
222gers wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 1:27 pm
Which poll is that, 222gers?
sorry, I posted this in the pub after misreading a headline. :oops: