General Election

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: General Election

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:07 am

Damien wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:43 am
The selfish and stupid will unfortunately prevail yet again when the polls open. Don't know why Labour are voting for a GE as they have zero chance, and will just be further humiliated. You think it's bad in England - we may have 2 bloody elections here in NI this summer (not that I'll be voting in either). I save my politicking for cyber-space now.
But those who can't be bothered to vote aren't selfish or stupid are they!

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

It's a good move. It gives Mrs May the mandate she needs and gets rid of some uncertainties.

It should also give Labour a chance to rebuild. There's been no opposition for the past few years and that's always A Bad Thing. Labour should see a landslide victory in 2027.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 am

The Tories clearly want to be in power for three years post Brexit and I think that's due to the eventual deal being not as tough as the majority want and it will give the electorate time to forget the term brexit. There have already been soft messages about immigration figures so the added time will be to heal the disappointment on what we concede during negotiations.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 am

Presumably the proposed boundary changes will not now go through until 2022 thus leaving our beloved QPR safe in the paradisal borough of Hammersmith & Fulham for the time being, rather than hived off to Ealing.

I wonder how many Conservative remainers may vote LibDem ? Not enough to alter the outcome I guess. There is such a paucity of talent in the Labour party, I've no idea who may take up the reins if, as expected, Labour lose and Corbyn resigns.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 am

222gers wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 am
Presumably the proposed boundary changes will not now go through until 2022 thus leaving our beloved QPR safe in the paradisal borough of Hammersmith & Fulham for the time being, rather than hived off to Ealing.

I wonder how many Conservative remainers may vote LibDem ? Not enough to alter the outcome I guess. There is such a paucity of talent in the Labour party, I've no idea who may take up the reins if, as expected, Labour lose and Corbyn resigns.
Diane Abbot would be an excellent choice!

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 am
222gers wrote:

Take that tongue out of your cheek sheepy :wink:

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

As an aside, it's amusing that the two 'outed' Tories on here both reside in the county of Mr Corbyn's birth.

And when I say 'amusing'. I might be misusing the word.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
222gers wrote:

Foreign Secretary.....................Boris Johnson

Shadow Foreign Secretary...........Diane Abbott

Jesus, what's happened to this country ?!?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:51 pm

222gers wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
222gers wrote:

This will make you feel better 222gers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39643202

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:19 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:51 pm
222gers wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm
SheepRanger wrote:

This will make you feel better 222gers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39643202
I'm going up the pub !

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Being a Kent resident means, as has been historically constant for voters in Kent, I have little choice. I will vote but with only two non-Tory MPs in Kent (both down on the Sussex border in Brighton and Hove --- One Labour with a majority of less than a thousand and one Green) it's safe to say Theresa May doesn't need to worry about this part of the country.

The only interesting part will be in seeing what the Labour party does with itself, its leadership and Jeremy Corbyn once
Labour has been broken even more badly than it already is.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 am

Theresa May: Speech in Bolton 19th April 2017

I wonder what the key policy message is going to be in this election aniwall

“It’s great to be here in Bolton, fresh from the House of Commons, fresh from wining a vote in the House of Commons which approved my decision to hold a general election on the 8th of June. It’s the right decision, it’s in the national interest. And that’s what this election is about providing the strong and stable leadership this country needs to take Britain through Brexit and beyond. It’s about strengthening our hand in the negotiations that lie ahead. And it’s about sticking to our plan for a stronger Britain that will enable us to secure that more stable and secure future for this country and take the right long term decision for the future. It’s about strong and stable leadership in the national interest. And you only get that strong and stable leadership by voting for the Conservatives. Because that’s what Conservatives government provides. And just look at what we’ve done.

When I took over as Prime Minister, there were predictions of immediate financial crash, of economic danger. But we see consumer confidence remains high, we see record numbers of jobs, and economic growth that has exceeded all expectations. When I took over as Prime Minister people said the country was divided that it could never be brought together. But actually what I see today in this country is a unity of purpose – a desire for the Government to get on with the job of putting Brexit in to place and making a success of it.

And when I took over as Prime Minister, the country needed clear vision and strong leadership to ensure that we got on with that job of delivering on Brexit for the British people and that’s exactly what we did. We delivered that strong and stable leadership, we delivered the certainty that strong and stable leadership can give. And that’s what leadership looks like. Now there’s a very clear choice at this election. It’s a choice between strong and stable leadership under the Conservatives, or weak and unstable coalition of chaos led by Jeremy Corbyn.

And that is very clear. Let’s look – the other parties are lining up to prop up Jeremy Corbyn. We’ve seen it with the Liberal Democrats, and we see it with Nicola Sturgeon’s Scottish nationalists. They’re very clear that they want to do everything they can to frustrate our Brexit negotiations. To undermine the job that we have to do, the task that lies ahead. Do everything to stop us from being able to take Britain forward. And it’s their tunnel vision focus on independence that actually provides uncertainty. They want to pull the strings, try to pull the strings of this election, prop up Jeremy Corbyn and provide more risk and uncertainty for the British people and that’s not in Britain’s interests.

So it’s only a vote for the Conservatives that can deliver, and every vote for the Conservatives is a vote for me and local Conservative candidates, and it’s a vote to ensure that we have that strong and stable leadership that we need to take us through Brexit and beyond. Every vote for me and the local Conservative candidates here and across Britain is a vote to deliver on that plan for a stronger Britain and a more secure future for us all. And if we have that certainty of five more years of strong and stable leadership then we can ensure that we’re delivering for people, for ordinary working people up and down the country, across the whole United Kingdom.

Yes getting the right deal with the European Union, ensuring that we get that good negotiation, that we deliver on that deep and special partnership with the European Union. Negotiating other deals for export of British goods and services. A country that is showing that we can be leaders in preventing terrorism and fighting modern slavery. But it’s also about getting the right deal for ordinary working people here at home, and that’s about building a strong Britain. Britain is the strongest country in Europe in terms of economic growth and national security.

It’s about building a stronger economy. It’s about creating well paid secure jobs. It’s about ensuring that there is opportunity for all. That we provide a good school place for every child. That there is affordable housing. That people can get on in their lives. It’s about ensuring that we create a more united nation. That we take action against the extremists who want to divide us, and that we stand up to the separatists who want to break up our country. So it’s providing that strong and stable leadership.

That certainty. That stability for the future ,and that’s going to be our message as go out in to our election campaign. And I’, looking forward to it. We’re going to fight a positive and optimistic campaign about the future of this country. I’m going to be getting out and about around the country. I’m going to be visiting communities in every part of the United Kingdom. And I’m looking forward to taking our case out there to people. Because this is the case – that it is only with the Conservatives that you get the strong and stable leadership that this country needs to see us through Brexit and beyond.

Only we can give that plan for a stronger Britain. For a more secure future. But only you can give us the mandate. So vote for a strong and stable leadership in this country. Vote for the strong and stable leadership this country needs. Give me the mandate to lead Britain. Give me the mandate to speak for Britain. Give me the mandate to fight for Britain, and give me the mandate to deliver for Britain. “

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:31 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 am
I wonder what the key policy message is going to be in this election aniwall
She's retiring from politics and starting her own stables ?

That'll show the neighsayers.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Its being suggested that many Labour voters will vote Tory to get rid of Corbyn.

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:36 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:30 pm
Its being suggested that many Labour voters will vote Tory to get rid of Corbyn.
naughty
"Strong and stable my arse". (L'pool grafitti)