I,Daniel Blake

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Post Reply
User avatar
rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 13296
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: london

I,Daniel Blake

Post by rblockells » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:53 pm

What a film.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.Both ideas are overwhelming.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27507
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by DAVEf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 am

rblockells wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:53 pm
What a film.
Does it have colourful cartoon fish in it?

Or loads of unnecessary gratuitous violence and nudity?

Is it an alternative reality story about Germany having won WWII?

Does it have some unnecessary gratuitous violence and nudity?
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Location: The daddy of Abbots

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by ActonArthur » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:46 pm

rblockells wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:53 pm
What a film.

Thanks. I have just read a couple of reviews, it looks very good. I will check it out.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 11990
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by dm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 pm

It's a classic Ken Loach film. I love his work. This is wonderful to watch and it makes you angry at the way the system can utterly disempower the most vulnerable.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27507
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by DAVEf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 pm
It's a classic Ken Loach film. I love his work. This is wonderful to watch and it makes you angry at the way the system can utterly disempower the most vulnerable.
We should always remember it's our system (put in place by people we voted for --- or not against) and while people keep making mistakes at polling booths it will always cause suffering for the more vulnerable.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 11990
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by dm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:28 pm

DAVEf wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm
dm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 pm
It's a classic Ken Loach film. I love his work. This is wonderful to watch and it makes you angry at the way the system can utterly disempower the most vulnerable.
We should always remember it's our system (put in place by people we voted for --- or not against) and while people keep making mistakes at polling booths it will always cause suffering for the more vulnerable.
No, we should always remember that in a representative democracy whoever are in power are accountable to and the servants of all the people. Also. deliberate choices not mistakes are made in polling booths.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27507
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by DAVEf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:40 am

dm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:28 pm
DAVEf wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm
dm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 pm
It's a classic Ken Loach film. I love his work. This is wonderful to watch and it makes you angry at the way the system can utterly disempower the most vulnerable.
We should always remember it's our system (put in place by people we voted for --- or not against) and while people keep making mistakes at polling booths it will always cause suffering for the more vulnerable.
No, we should always remember that in a representative democracy whoever are in power are accountable to and the servants of all the people. Also. deliberate choices not mistakes are made in polling booths.
When mature people are given choices to make they should always remember that they have to be accountable for those choices, if only to themselves.

And when people act (in any way) without thinking through the possible consequences of their actions then there is always a chance they could could bring about unpleasant consequences that we often choose to call "accidents" (but which, with sensible and educated fore-thought, could have been avoided).
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by Damien » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:36 pm

DAVEf wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm
dm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 pm
It's a classic Ken Loach film. I love his work. This is wonderful to watch and it makes you angry at the way the system can utterly disempower the most vulnerable.
We should always remember it's our system (put in place by people we voted for --- or not against) and while people keep making mistakes at polling booths it will always cause suffering for the more vulnerable.
Until people stop voting for self interested reasons and instead vote for what will benefit all... nothing is going to change. Brexit, the Nationalists in Scotland, the Orange and Green in Northern Ireland, and to a lesser extent Plaid in Wales are indicative of the narrow agenda politics we are living through. Didn't bother voting over here in NI as I knew the outcome already. First time in my life I haven't voted in a major election.

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3552
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by 222gers » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Getting people to vote at all is a big issue. The "they're all the same" mantra seems to be all pervasive. "No matter who you vote for-the government always gets in" is another sixth form saying.

An example. A man at the end of my street has severe arthritis and couldn't get about. The Blair administration brought in the Disabled Living Allowance and he got a Motability car which transformed his life. I asked him on election day if he'd voted yet. With a spacious wave of his hand, he exclaimed "pah, I don't vote, they're all the same." Now, the Tories have dismantled the scheme and he's lost the vehicle. I take no pleasure from this event, but it shows that people really need to become more aware.
,

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27507
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by DAVEf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:21 am

222gers wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:01 pm
Getting people to vote at all is a big issue. The "they're all the same" mantra seems to be all pervasive. "No matter who you vote for-the government always gets in" is another sixth form saying.

An example. A man at the end of my street has severe arthritis and couldn't get about. The Blair administration brought in the Disabled Living Allowance and he got a Motability car which transformed his life. I asked him on election day if he'd voted yet. With a spacious wave of his hand, he exclaimed "pah, I don't vote, they're all the same." Now, the Tories have dismantled the scheme and he's lost the vehicle. I take no pleasure from this event, but it shows that people really need to become more aware.
,
"Aware" can also mean "educated" but mention lack of education and people react as if they've been called thick (even if they are) without ever considering it might simply mean uneducated about the subject they are being asked to consider.

I couldn't count how many lectures and meetings I have spent in the last 25 years studying and discussing the EU and our membership and everything I have learned has heavily suggested the EU is the best option for the poorer and weaker members of our society (the numbers of which seem to grow every year) and I stick by that. PIP will take much away from so many (including mobility in far too many cases) and in coming years I would now expect the NHS to be part-privatised so that those that can afford certain parts (GPs/A&Es/Dentists etc) will be able to use them and those that can't afford it will have to go without or end up up at heavily under-funded Human equivalents of the PDSA etc. And the irony is that those who lose out will have voted for it. Meanwhile those of us who voted Remain and will be just fine in a UK out of the EU can only shake our heads disbelievingly --- and sadly.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Location: The daddy of Abbots

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by ActonArthur » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks I watched it last night. Great film, very well acted. Did not do much for for my pre Monday Sunday evening mood though, it started dark and got darker.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27507
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by DAVEf » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 am

ActonArthur wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:56 am
Thanks I watched it last night. Great film, very well acted. Did not do much for for my pre Monday Sunday evening mood though, it started dark and got darker.
Haven't seen it (yet) but will. There will always be some who slip through the net but tooo often those (non-medical types) charged with protecting the ill and unemployed seem far more concerned with their own lives, jobs and worries.

Generally though --- I'd say those with "provable" conditions (heart, stroke, cancer, arthritis) etc get far better looked after by the system than those where doubts can be raised by the benefits agencies as to the extent (of even veracity) of an individual's claim. I don't know of anyone who has had a heart attack who has had to sign on --- everyone I know has been registered by the hospital or community cardiac support nurses and given automatic benefits until investigations/treatments are complete. But then until I've seen the film and how the story unfolds I'd best not judge the author.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3552
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: I,Daniel Blake

Post by 222gers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Finally seen it after waiting three weeks for the DVD to arrive from an Amazon seller. A compelling film and an antidote to those terrible Channel 5 programmes where unemployed people sit around all day drinking, smoking, taking drugs, playing with their dangerous dogs and all the rest of it. Is the system that tough, are Jobcentre staff so awful ? I don't really know. My only brush with the system was in the early 70s when I was briefly between jobs. Things were less Kafkaesque then. Anyway, a superb film which I would recommend.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests