Just reward for winning the Premiership against all odds.

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Just reward for winning the Premiership against all odds.

Post by Satch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Damien wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 am
He'll be immortal in Prem history and their history. A genuinely nice man who deserved better. In truth, football at the top has become such a money grubbing affair... I think most clubs would do the same in Leicester's position. The desperation to stay or to get onto the SKY gravy train has damaged football in this country beyond repair. I'm probably in a minority, but I hope we never go back there. I still hope they go down though to teach them a bit of humility.
What would success be, to you?

I agree the money has not improved football as a whole, but there is still success for successes sake. Do Leicester just give up now? Given how miraculous their achievement was, were do you draw the line at what point would it be acceptable to replace him? It's horribly harsh i agree, but Leicester have a future to think of. I've never liked them (but wanted them to win the title) so will happily see them relegated, but i don't believe this decision is borne out of a delusion of grandeur.

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:08 pm

I can accept the owners decision but what really gets me is Sky Sports banging on and on and on and on about it, big news, now I'm bored - next...

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 pm

If anyone has read his farewell message it would be hard to not feel for him. Very rarely do you get a manager wear his heart on his sleeve like that. Kudos to Ranieri for taking the time to do it.
Does Holloway need any help in any area? 8)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:39 am

DAVEf wrote:It would not be ridiculous to suggest that Ranieri climbed onto a horse in full flight and just let it run.
Yes it would. Unless someone can point us to a few other teams that had a decent run of a handful of games to avoid relegation one season and then won the league the next.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Really, how ridiculous has football become?!
Life is short, drink the good wine first.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:33 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:27 pm
Damien wrote:
He'll be immortal in Prem history and their history. A genuinely nice man who deserved better. In truth, football at the top has become such a money grubbing affair... I think most clubs would do the same in Leicester's position. The desperation to stay or to get onto the SKY gravy train has damaged football in this country beyond repair. I'm probably in a minority, but I hope we never go back there. I still hope they go down though to teach them a bit of humility.
If Leicester avoid relegation then it will be used to validate the owners decision to fire Ranieri, which will be disappointing in the extreme. If they are relegated then it's the fans will feel the most pain. I know next to nothing about Leicester and know not a single fan, so they have never really entered my consciousness, however I really hope they survive and can continue to upset expectations.
They've managed to go from a club nearly everyone in football was rooting for, to one that most hope will fail. Bit like us really :wink:

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Satch wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:18 pm
Damien wrote:

I agree the money has not improved football as a whole, but there is still success for successes sake. Do Leicester just give up now? Given how miraculous their achievement was, were do you draw the line at what point would it be acceptable to replace him? It's horribly harsh i agree, but Leicester have a future to think of. I've never liked them (but wanted them to win the title) so will happily see them relegated, but i don't believe this decision is borne out of a delusion of grandeur.
New stadium, training ground and a good Championship side challenging in the top half would be success for a club our size; that would ensure our long term future. If we do manage to go up... so be it. Can't see it happening anytime soon though.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:38 pm
Satch wrote:
Damien wrote:

New stadium, training ground and a good Championship side challenging in the top half would be success for a club our size; that would ensure our long term future. If we do manage to go up... so be it. Can't see it happening anytime soon though.
But that's it, you just want our player to have nice facilities and finish mid table? What's the flipping point?

I hate sky and the game hasn't improved with the influx of money. But i still want QPR to be the best team in the country. That might not be realistic but sod just settling for a mid-table obscurity in the second tier forever.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 pm
A Disenting voice here. They have been on an awful run and are only getting worse. Should the club simply accept relegation out of gratitude?
If QPR won the league, I'd give any manager the latitude to save us from relegation.
Even if we went down the following season, I'd still be happy with the situation.

Remember, a middling team would have won the league; that's what it's all about!
Staff Benda Bilili

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Satch wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:43 pm
Damien wrote:
Satch wrote:

But that's it, you just want our player to have nice facilities and finish mid table? What's the flipping point?

I hate sky and the game hasn't improved with the influx of money. But i still want QPR to be the best team in the country. That might not be realistic but sod just settling for a mid-table obscurity in the second tier forever.
But QPR won't settle for mid-table mediocrity. No club does willingly. My position is a philosophical position, which is why I said I'm in the minority. I like to keep my ambitions for our club realistic... that way the inevitable disappointments don't hurt as much :wink: There's nowt wrong with dreaming either. Anyway we are the best team in the world already for me 8)

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:43 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:21 pm
Satch wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:43 pm
Damien wrote:

But QPR won't settle for mid-table mediocrity. No club does willingly. My position is a philosophical position, which is why I said I'm in the minority. I like to keep my ambitions for our club realistic... that way the inevitable disappointments don't hurt as much :wink: There's nowt wrong with dreaming either. Anyway we are the best team in the world already for me 8)

I know you added a wink but the disappointments are vital because without them the successes have no meaning. And vice versa. Football is about emotional high and lows. Take away the extremes and it would be reduced to the level of a fim or theatre show where we watch, applaud politely and generally just move on.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:53 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 am
DAVEf wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:48 am
Have a read of Nigel Pearson's wiki page. Especially the bits relevant to Leicester. He took over in June before the 2008-09 season and Leicester were in League One. He left and spent a year at Hull before going back to Leicester in 2011 and started the rise from where they were (12th in the Championship) to where they were (and how they were?) when Ranieri took over.

It would not be ridiculous to suggest that Ranieri climbed onto a horse in full flight and just let it run. When the horse started to run out of steam and he was called on to make a difference, he couldn't.

In other words, he has maybe been a very lucky man and his luck ran out.

It's also rarely wise to judge any new manager on a first season whether it be a good one or a bad one. Or a great one.
Valid points Dave. It's near impossible to de-convolute successive managers impact, however, Tinkerman definitely had a positive effect on the squad and IMO fully deserved the recognition he received. Far too early to ditch him. Instead, blame the horse.
As an aside, what are you doing reading Wiki. You know better than that. :wink:
Cross-referencing with other stuff. It can produce fairly accurate results :-). Pearson's page pretty well sums up all that he's done for Leicester though. Without what he did for them in two separate stints they could still be slumbering down with Bolton, Blackpool, Bradford or Portsmouth. I have some sympathy for Ranieri but I'm also willing to accept that he was on a title-winning horse that had been bred and trained by someone else and all he had to do was hang on while the players did the necessary. Mixed metaphors notwithstanding shifty :D

PS From Sunday's BBC gossip page:

Leicester City players have been asked if they want Nigel Pearson to return as manager. The response was so positive, he could be back in charge within days. (Sun)
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Meh, it's the entertainment business. He'll get more money than most of us will see in a working lifetime. To borrow from Mr T, he may feel a slight sting. That's pride flipping with him. pribbling idle-headed giglet pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Don wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:37 pm
Meh, it's the entertainment business. He'll get more money than most of us will see in a working lifetime. To borrow from Mr T, he may feel a slight sting. That's pride flipping with him. pribbling idle-headed giglet pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.
Wasn't that Marsellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction Don? to Bruce Willis' character. 8)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:47 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:56 pm
Don wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:37 pm
Wasn't that Marsellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction Don? to Bruce Willis' character. 8)
Spot on, m'young friend.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!