Cardiff up to twelfth

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Cardiff up to twelfth

Post by Damien » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:01 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:03 pm
The man is god

The squad he has at Cardiff makes ours look like top 6.

Legend best I've ever seen incharge at LR

It was a honour and pleasure having him stear our ship from relegation and then win the league.
Disagree. Their squad is as good or not better than ours. Plus they have Whittingham, the kind of player we do not possess and still need. Oh and they have Hoilet too sofahide

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:19 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:01 am
When he returned he made it clear he didn't want the job full time, so that was an end to that.
..and then he accepted Rotherham...taking them to safety from last position...
would like to know the details why he did not accept QPR and went to R'ham...

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:30 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:03 pm
patrickqpr wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:17 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:03 pm
The man is god

The squad he has at Cardiff makes ours look like top 6.

Legend best I've ever seen incharge at LR

It was a honour and pleasure having him stear our ship from relegation and then win the league.
If he is the best you ever saw in charge at LR you missed out on a lot of good Managers
Probably missed out because I wasn't born.
So, I can't interest you in a chat about Shakespeare or Beethoven then ? :wink:

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:48 pm

222gers wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:30 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:03 pm
patrickqpr wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:17 pm

If he is the best you ever saw in charge at LR you missed out on a lot of good Managers
Probably missed out because I wasn't born.
So, I can't interest you in a chat about Shakespeare or Beethoven then ? :wink:
Oh no I was alive for Beethoven, cute dog good film.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:35 am

In my opinion -----

Nah, **** it, I can't be bothered.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

qpray
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by qpray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 pm

best manager we have had in the last say 40 years when you look at the situation he found, the players he had and the things he achieved. All those so called better managers had better players and a better situation to start with.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:33 pm

qpray wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 pm
best manager we have had in the last say 40 years when you look at the situation he found, the players he had and the things he achieved. All those so called better managers had better players and a better situation to start with.
2 words; Terry Venables. He did it at the highest level with fairly non descript players. There was a reason that Barca poached him from us.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:44 am

qpray wrote:
The truth is he got lucky having Tarrabt at the only time in his career he was prepared to give it a real go. Some man-management maybe but that's surely the least that should be be expected from a manager. The rest were good Championship pros and might well have made the top ten (though I doubt the play-offs would have been reachable). The team was dogged and committed without ever being impenetrable and capable of scoring goals without ever being flowingly exciting or entertaining. Unless Tarrabt was playing well.

Face facts --- Nobody expected the kind of season we had (and that includes Neil Warnock) and just be grateful we had it. And Tarrabt.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:09 am

I think a large part of that man management came with dealing with the other players in terms of the "licence" he gave Adel to do what he wanted to do but, long term it needed more and matters unravelled as they did.

Dave Mc talks about budget with NW and he was also able to bring in Kyle Walker and Wayne Routledge on loan that season.

He provided some great memories from that season but, not necessarily a platform to build on beyond that.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 am

Devonranger wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:09 am
I think a large part of that man management came with dealing with the other players in terms of the "licence" he gave Adel to do what he wanted to do but, long term it needed more and matters unravelled as they did.

Dave Mc talks about budget with NW and he was also able to bring in Kyle Walker and Wayne Routledge on loan that season.

He provided some great memories from that season but, not necessarily a platform to build on beyond that.
didnt provide a platform to build beyond that, love it just love it.

A total surprise league title against all odds, hands tied leading up until the premier league kick off due to owners wanting to sell & not spend another penny, check out our starting lineup against Bolton first game of the season.

This whole build for the future lay foundations, drives me nuts.

Ask Leicester how Ranieri is doing laying foundations, football is right here right now your judged per season, your fortunes players change in a heart beat, Warnock did what we dreamed of for 15 odd years, it was the board & qpr that failed to lay a platform to build for the future.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 am

Warnock's reign went beyond that and when funds were available, there was nothing in his signings beyond that point which provided us with other than a poor legacy.

It's about getting a balance between the here and now and the future - Warnock is all about the here and now and that is fine for some - I would like to see us sustain a decent position over time and that needs more than just living in the moment.

NewcastleR
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by NewcastleR » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Rarely do I find myself agreeing with LaLa, but this whole point about building platforms and long term stability for a club is a misnomer. It's fantasy that happens so rarely. Blaming Warnock for leaving no foundations is bizarre. That's not his job. Foundations are the club's.

Every club will tell you they're aiming for long term success, get the foundations right for a solid future, generate a stream of youth talent into the senior ranks. Yada Yada Yada...and then sack a manager cos they go ten without a win. There are so very few successful examples. Ferguson with the Nevilles, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Sharpe etc? Once they got old, what happened? Man Utd flopped. Now they're the same as every other club. Hire and fire at will.

Crewe in the 80s / 90s? and their stream of great youth players? Perhaps, but they were just picked off to feed bigger clubs.

Southampton as they rose through the ranks in the last eight years? Another fine example, but they've also had a number of managers too. It wasn't one manager who made it work. There was uproar when Adkins was sacked. They got some Argentine in, then a Dutchman. Now the French dude. And it continues to work well. ALL great managers? Arguably, yes, but someone else within the club has a very clear idea on who and how to recruit - both players and managers. That's the club's responsibility to lay those sorts of foundations.

Warnock gave us an incredible season that none of us really expected. Adel was breathtaking. I'm post Stan and Rodney, so I can say with some confidence that for that season, he is the most exciting, out-of-your-seat, did-you-just-see-that player I have ever seen in a Rangers shirt. Warnock's management of the team and Adel in particular, was outstanding. We all know (and saw) how frustrated the likes of Derry and Hill would get with him, but Warnock pleaded with these guys to just let Adel be Adel. I'm not buying it that its purely coincidence or luck that Warnock was in charge for the one and only season he decided to apply himself.

I'd have loved to have seen the club given Warnock a chance in the Prem the next season, but it wasn't to be.

But I don't want him back, I don't want Adel back either. That period's done now. We're at where we're at because the club, at the top level, consistently believe there's something better out there. We can't and wont settle for one man. We're not alone. They all do it. That's football.

Good luck to Ollie and the lads tomorrow. I think we'll be mathematically safe with four games to go.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 am
Warnock's reign went beyond that and when funds were available, there was nothing in his signings beyond that point which provided us with other than a poor legacy.

It's about getting a balance between the here and now and the future - Warnock is all about the here and now and that is fine for some - I would like to see us sustain a decent position over time and that needs more than just living in the moment.
Your joking right regarding Warnocks signings, he had the dregs of the barrel sitting in Loftus road with two days till premier league kick off, he had players sitting in different rooms trying to get deals over the line because tango & cash wouldn't sign anyone over the summer.

And who in gods name in this day & age signs a player based on legacy and building foundations, As I said previously your signings your league position is judged as per season, Infact in this day & age your judged every 10 games in some cases.

Warnock did what we all dreamt of, the freefal and self implosion that followed is down to the board & club, it had nothing to do with Warnock and the wonder season he managed to produce.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:29 pm

DAVEf wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:44 am
qpray wrote:
The truth is he got lucky having Tarrabt at the only time in his career he was prepared to give it a real go. Some man-management maybe but that's surely the least that should be be expected from a manager. The rest were good Championship pros and might well have made the top ten (though I doubt the play-offs would have been reachable). The team was dogged and committed without ever being impenetrable and capable of scoring goals without ever being flowingly exciting or entertaining. Unless Tarrabt was playing well.

Face facts --- Nobody expected the kind of season we had (and that includes Neil Warnock) and just be grateful we had it. And Tarrabt.
Partially agree. I had a nice bet before the season started as I had a good feeling the ingredients were in place including Tarrabt. Many supporters were very pleased when we signed him from Spurs permanently before the season started because he had shown great quality.
For me the key was Warnock as Tarrabt had looked skillful before but with other managers had not been truly harnessed. The players he bought in created a system which allowed Tarrabt to flourish and win matches for us. Had he not bought the likes of Mackie, Derry, Hill and Kenny in we would not have been near to winning the division. You could say that they could have been other "stock" championship players but previous managers failed to get the right ones.
Also the loans he got at Christmas just at the right time to give us the extra bit of quality. Routledge in particular. If Adel had not been there we almost certainly would not have won it but the same and more so goes for Warnock. And I have rarely bet on QPR before or since that season.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Don't forget we had Kyle Walker too. You could see he was real quality from the get go.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.