The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Post Reply
User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by Andy_N19 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Just heard that Carrie Fisher has just died.
The Grim Reaper is having a bloody field day this week... who next tomorrow?
Staff Benda Bilili

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 6416
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by SheepRanger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Ive read our Brucie is in poor health.

Im sure 2016 will continue as those in their 40/50s see those from their teens die. As for pop stars their drug and alcohol issues catch up with them.

I really need to shift a few stone in weight as Ill be 50 in July. Far too heavy and perhaps we all need to take notice of these deaths.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 6416
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by SheepRanger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:41 pm


User avatar
222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by 222gers » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:57 pm

SheepRanger wrote:Ive read our Brucie is in poor health.

Im sure 2016 will continue as those in their 40/50s see those from their teens die. As for pop stars their drug and alcohol issues catch up with them.

I really need to shift a few stone in weight as Ill be 50 in July. Far too heavy and perhaps we all need to take notice of these deaths.
I often wonder if some of them play up to their image. I've shaken hands with John Barleycorn more than a few times in my life but I don't think I could've downed a bottle and a half of Jack Daniels a day for 50 years as Keith Richards has supposed to have done !

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27270
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by DAVEf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:03 pm

My wife's dad died a couple of weeks before Christmas following minor back surgery. He worked on early hovercraft development but was never really famous. He was fit (cycled 80km non-stop on his 80th three years ago), never smoked and always did everything in moderation. NHS managed three different versions of what actually killed him. The coroner picked the simplest (and least believable) and that's that. Their wedding anniversary would have been Christmas Eve. She (and my wife) devastated. He won't make the news so I thought he (indeed they) could have a mention on here if only to point out that the deaths of "famous" people is of rather less importance to some folk than it is to others.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 14902
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Devizes

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by Don » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:45 am

Well said Mr F. I'm sorry for your loss. Most deaths mean a lot to a few people. I too have had times when I've lost people close to me and those deaths have - as you'd expect - gone largely unnoticed. Then you have people going all Princess Di over someone they've never met. I've heard a number of people claiming these deaths make 2016 the Worst Year Ever. Personal circumstances and happenings will have made it just that for some people. For others (like me) 2016 has been one of the absolute best. It's all about balance.

The Mash has a sensible perspective on it. http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/cele ... 0205105947
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

User avatar
222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by 222gers » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:41 pm

I think we all show respect when somebody departs be they famous or the bloke down the chip shop. We put these RIPs up as conversation pieces. Some are musically or artistically significant others less so but it's nice to remember them. Many more died this year but got no RIP on here as they wouldn't have been known to some posters. I'm surprised nothing for Greg Lake though.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 6416
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54 pm

222gers wrote:I think we all show respect when somebody departs be they famous or the bloke down the chip shop. We put these RIPs up as conversation pieces. Some are musically or artistically significant others less so but it's nice to remember them. Many more died this year but got no RIP on here as they wouldn't have been known to some posters. I'm surprised nothing for Greg Lake though.
He only played the bass which is one step up from the triangle.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27270
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by DAVEf » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:18 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
222gers wrote:I think we all show respect when somebody departs be they famous or the bloke down the chip shop. We put these RIPs up as conversation pieces. Some are musically or artistically significant others less so but it's nice to remember them. Many more died this year but got no RIP on here as they wouldn't have been known to some posters. I'm surprised nothing for Greg Lake though.
He only played the bass which is one step up from the triangle.
Says someone who has obviously never suffered artistic and technical struggles with the triangle :?
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27270
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by DAVEf » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Rationing ended in the UK in 1954.

Anyone born after a few years before that date was immediately in a world where sugar and animal fats were not only once again available but available to parents who had benefitted from at least 15-odd healthy years in terms of diet and exercise (bombs and bullet etc excepted) but were keen their offsping could have what they hadn't. And most of those born from 1950 onwards were eagily pushed down roads of unhealthy consumption. And then the same age group was also at the front of the chemical experimentation times and lower-activity past-times as they reached their prime.

And so now, those between their early forties and mid-to-late 60s are paying the price and keeling over (made more obvious by so many of the generation that came before which "benefitted" from the hardships of their times still plodding happily on towards big numbers).

Parents out-living their children. And soon we could have grandparents out-living their grandkids. :shock:

So it's not a surprise or a shock or a jinx on the year ---- these famous people are mostly all in the right age-group for popping off around now and any doctor or historian could (probably has) forecast it. But then whoever listens to doctors and/or historians?
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: The Grim Reaper and Entertainment

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Don wrote:Well said Mr F. I'm sorry for your loss. Most deaths mean a lot to a few people. I too have had times when I've lost people close to me and those deaths have - as you'd expect - gone largely unnoticed. Then you have people going all Princess Di over someone they've never met. I've heard a number of people claiming these deaths make 2016 the Worst Year Ever. Personal circumstances and happenings will have made it just that for some people. For others (like me) 2016 has been one of the absolute best. It's all about balance.

The Mash has a sensible perspective on it. http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/cele ... 0205105947
Well said Don, it all depends on how you view "celebrities". The ho-ha over Bowie was frankly ridiculous,
nobody I know listened to any Bowie music and I'm middle aged also.
Like you, 2016 was a fairly good year.
Staff Benda Bilili

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests