New Referendum

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

Re: New Referendum

Post by William » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:59 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
William wrote:Unions should be water cannoned and abolished, there is enough laws to protect workers...............
Those laws only exist because unions were brave enough to stand up for their basic rights. They are steadily being stripped away by our "new age" economy.

Still, you're alright, eh, Bill.
Blah Blah Blah, the unions purpose ceased to exist when boys no longer went under spinning jennys to collect the dust, or boys were sent up chimneys, now there sole and ONLY purpose is to strike, not for any reason, just strike.................

User avatar
222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3323
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: New Referendum

Post by 222gers » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:33 pm

William wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:
William wrote:Unions should be water cannoned and abolished, there is enough laws to protect workers...............
Those laws only exist because unions were brave enough to stand up for their basic rights. They are steadily being stripped away by our "new age" economy.

Still, you're alright, eh, Bill.
Blah Blah Blah, the unions purpose ceased to exist when boys no longer went under spinning jennys to collect the dust, or boys were sent up chimneys, now there sole and ONLY purpose is to strike, not for any reason, just strike.................
Oh, you're so right William. All workers are treated so well these days.....it's amazing that employers and industrialists survive considering the strain on their resources occasioned by the massive benelovence and largesse shown to the employees. :wink:

morrisd52
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:29 am

Re: New Referendum

Post by morrisd52 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:49 am

You can't tell me that these strikes are not co -ordinated aimed at causing the most disruption to us ordinary working folk by politically motivated
union leaders out to cause problems for the Government. Roll on the next election

User avatar
222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3323
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: New Referendum

Post by 222gers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:46 am

morrisd52 wrote:You can't tell me that these strikes are not co -ordinated aimed at causing the most disruption to us ordinary working folk by politically motivated
union leaders out to cause problems for the Government. Roll on the next election
The situation on Southern Rail as I understand it, is that they are paid a yearly fee by the government to run the service irrespective of the usage and standard of service. The government picks up the fares and pays any compensation for poor service. It is therefore apparent that, other than hanging on to the franchise, the company has no incentive to run things properly and every incentive to reduce costs to a minimum. Hence the terrible service - one of the worst if not the worst in the country. The government should step in and sort this mess out.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27359
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: New Referendum

Post by DAVEf » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:33 am

How about ---a rail franchise is one of the new "tickets to print money"?

So it is clearly the fault of government. IMO re-nationalisation is the only answer but not one which anyone currently with power would even consider. So if you haven't got a car and a driving licence (or a bike and job near where you live) it might be wise to do something about that? And soon. Or get a job as a rail worker.

As for unions claiming to have concerns over passenger service and safety, that's laughable given the misery they happily put passengers through whenever there is talk of modernisation or a chance of pay rises.

And as for having a planned political agenda to bring down the Tories, it could never work because the unions only care about raising the living standards of their members and the rail unions have done it so well most of their members are well enough off to be voting Tory. Especially union leaders.

And that is from a (pre-Corbyn) regular Labour voter who has also served the Union movement as a shop steward and branch secretary.

Why do we keep electing useless (except in being self-serving) people whose only real skills/talents are in persuading gullible people to vote for them?

And why, in a world with so much easily available information, are there so many gullible people? aniwall aniwall aniwall
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

Re: New Referendum

Post by William » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:58 am

QPR_John wrote:
DroopStreetOldBoys wrote:
SheepRanger wrote:
With the electorate only being deemed suitably educated to make decisions when the right result is obtained?
It really wouldn't. That would lead to majority rule, which isn't the same as democracy. There has to be a way to protect the minority from tyranny by the majority, or when there is something as close as brexit, protecting the majority from the minority (most of the population didn't vote for brexit). Even countries that use referenda more frequently tend to set a percentage to be achieved. Participation in whatever system is probably as big of an issue, some of the referenda in Switzerland have had less than 30% turnout others over 49%. In the UK the general election elected a government with a 66% turnout and brexit had a turnout of 84.6%, brexit being the highest ever recorded turnout in th UK, but that's unlikely to ever be matched. How many people would turn out to vote on the Bat Habitats Regulation Bill, for example?
"when there is something as close as brexit, protecting the majority from the minority (most of the population didn't vote for brexit). "

I see the old idea of people counting those that did not vote as supporters of their side is alive and well
Yes they did, of all those who voted it was a one person, one vote, and once counted Brexit won easily, so if you say more voted to remain, how did they lose then, when it was all about single votes, not like in a general election where you win 'seats'..............

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 6550
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: New Referendum

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:32 pm

William wrote:
QPR_John wrote:
DroopStreetOldBoys wrote:
It really wouldn't. That would lead to majority rule, which isn't the same as democracy. There has to be a way to protect the minority from tyranny by the majority, or when there is something as close as brexit, protecting the majority from the minority (most of the population didn't vote for brexit). Even countries that use referenda more frequently tend to set a percentage to be achieved. Participation in whatever system is probably as big of an issue, some of the referenda in Switzerland have had less than 30% turnout others over 49%. In the UK the general election elected a government with a 66% turnout and brexit had a turnout of 84.6%, brexit being the highest ever recorded turnout in th UK, but that's unlikely to ever be matched. How many people would turn out to vote on the Bat Habitats Regulation Bill, for example?
"when there is something as close as brexit, protecting the majority from the minority (most of the population didn't vote for brexit). "

I see the old idea of people counting those that did not vote as supporters of their side is alive and well
Yes they did, of all those who voted it was a one person, one vote, and once counted Brexit won easily, so if you say more voted to remain, how did they lose then, when it was all about single votes, not like in a general election where you win 'seats'..............
He's comparing the Brexit figure against the UK population figure rather than against the true measure against the total number who actually bothered to vote.

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

Re: New Referendum

Post by William » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:49 pm

The top EU guy for Britain who just quit is a typical moaning remainer, best thing ever him going with his poisonous bile, he will not say anything positive because he is still hurting from losing, Brexit will be swift (few years) and will make us great withing 5/7 years FACT!!!!!

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 6550
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: New Referendum

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:42 pm

William wrote:The top EU guy for Britain who just quit is a typical moaning remainer, best thing ever him going with his poisonous bile, he will not say anything positive because he is still hurting from losing, Brexit will be swift (few years) and will make us great withing 5/7 years FACT!!!!!
A-men brother

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27359
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: New Referendum

Post by DAVEf » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:22 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
William wrote:The top EU guy for Britain who just quit is a typical moaning remainer, best thing ever him going with his poisonous bile, he will not say anything positive because he is still hurting from losing, Brexit will be swift (few years) and will make us great withing 5/7 years FACT!!!!!
A-men brother
Define great? Our nation was "great" during the Victorian times --- but that great didn't do much for the working classes or the young, the poor, the sick and the elderly?
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

Re: New Referendum

Post by William » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:10 am

DAVEf wrote:
SheepRanger wrote:
William wrote:The top EU guy for Britain who just quit is a typical moaning remainer, best thing ever him going with his poisonous bile, he will not say anything positive because he is still hurting from losing, Brexit will be swift (few years) and will make us great withing 5/7 years FACT!!!!!
A-men brother
Define great? Our nation was "great" during the Victorian times --- but that great didn't do much for the working classes or the young, the poor, the sick and the elderly?
The working class bit does not apply to me.....................

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9014
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: New Referendum

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:15 am

William wrote:
DAVEf wrote:
SheepRanger wrote:
A-men brother
Define great? Our nation was "great" during the Victorian times --- but that great didn't do much for the working classes or the young, the poor, the sick and the elderly?
The working class bit does not apply to me.....................
Not working and no class ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9014
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: New Referendum

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 am

William wrote:The top EU guy for Britain who just quit is a typical moaning remainer, best thing ever him going with his poisonous bile, he will not say anything positive because he is still hurting from losing, Brexit will be swift (few years) and will make us great withing 5/7 years FACT!!!!!
Great Withing sounds like a small market town, in which case you may be on to something.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

Re: New Referendum

Post by William » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:43 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
William wrote:
DAVEf wrote:
Define great? Our nation was "great" during the Victorian times --- but that great didn't do much for the working classes or the young, the poor, the sick and the elderly?
The working class bit does not apply to me.....................
Not working and no class ?
More like working and no class...............

User avatar
rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 13296
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: london

Re: New Referendum

Post by rblockells » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 pm

:) We need more William.

The B*stard son of Doran and Chappers ?

Perhaps a smattering of Casino/Insom.

Sighs.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.Both ideas are overwhelming.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests