Pay at the BBC

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Pay at the BBC

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:02 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 am
WA Hoop wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 am
But we all live in a 'trickle down' economy don't you know. :roll:
For entrepreneurs not glorified civil servants working for the state broadcaster. If they want to pay these wages it should be privatised, TV licence scrapped and commercial revenues sought.
I'll happily pay the licence fee to get one outlet where I'm not bombarded with shitty ads all the time. The Beeb is an oasis in our crass commercial world. Most of their programmes are still shite though - but BBC 4 is worth the licence fee on it's own.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:02 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
WA Hoop wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 am
But we all live in a 'trickle down' economy don't you know. :roll:
For entrepreneurs not glorified civil servants working for the state broadcaster. If they want to pay these wages it should be privatised, TV licence scrapped and commercial revenues sought.
I'll happily pay the licence fee to get one outlet where I'm not bombarded with shitty ads all the time. The Beeb is an oasis in our crass commercial world. Most of their programmes are still shite though - but BBC 4 is worth the licence fee on it's own.
3mins of adverts every 30mins isn't too much to put up with. If the BBC was privatised with the Govt putting every penny into the NHS I'm sure most people would be happy with that deal.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm

I'd be a lot happer if the BBC went back to its Reithian origins and concentrated on informative and enlightening programme content whilst leaving all the silly lowest common denominator shows to the commercial channels. It would be more worthy of its licence fee then. Some people think the commercial channels are somehow “free” forgetting that they are paying for it every time they purchase something in the shops or wherever.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:11 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm
I'd be a lot happer if the BBC went back to its Reithian origins and concentrated on informative and enlightening programme content whilst leaving all the silly lowest common denominator shows to the commercial channels. It would be more worthy of its licence fee then. Some people think the commercial channels are somehow “free” forgetting that they are paying for it every time they purchase something in the shops or wherever.
nailonhead

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:19 pm

It was hardly informative on its one sided anti Brexit stance. Bloody disgrace, if you want it as a Govt propaganda machine then fill ya boots.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 pm

I'll give you that Sheepy.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm

The BBC stars look like good value. Just read about the chief executive of the Motability Scheme, a govt funded charity , gets £1.7m a year.

A tough job but someone's got to do it.

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:08 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:40 pm
Damien wrote:
SheepRanger wrote:

3mins of adverts every 30mins isn't too much to put up with. If the BBC was privatised with the Govt putting every penny into the NHS I'm sure most people would be happy with that deal.
3mins of adverts every 30mins on commercial TV, 3mins of Nigel Farage every 30mins on the BBC.
QPR shit but local

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:27 am

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:08 am
SheepRanger wrote:
Damien wrote:
3mins of adverts every 30mins on commercial TV, 3mins of Nigel Farage every 30mins on the BBC.
Hes on QT this Thursday. Really looking forward to his insight on how Brexit is progressing. Hopefully it will be Sir Nigel soon for services to the soverign state and upholding democracy in the face of an unelected cartel.

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:42 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:27 am
Hunter S Thompson wrote:
SheepRanger wrote:

Hes on QT this Thursday. Really looking forward to his insight on how Brexit is progressing. Hopefully it will be Sir Nigel soon for services to the soverign state and upholding democracy in the face of an unelected cartel.
The first question on Question Time should be - Why is Nigel Farage on again. Okay, he’s an MEP but there’s plenty of those, no need to have the same one all the time. He was once the leader of UKIP which was once a political party. Why not have the leader of the Tooting Liberation Front ?
QPR shit but local

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:42 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:27 am
Hunter S Thompson wrote:

The first question on Question Time should be - Why is Nigel Farage on again. Okay, he’s an MEP but there’s plenty of those, no need to have the same one all the time. He was once the leader of UKIP which was once a political party. Why not have the leader of the Tooting Liberation Front ?
He has as much right to be on QT as Billy Bragg who seems to be a professional objector without having ever put himself forward for public office. Same does for that Brand bloke who when challenged on this subject replied that he'd be afraid of turning into 'one of them'. Talk is cheap for Brand, but at least Bragg is active in many of his causes, which he should be applauded for.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 am

Damien wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:11 pm
222gers wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm
nailonhead
Whilst i like the sound of this. It's remit is to try and be something for everything and unfortunately, a lot of people enjoy complete bollocks. Once you start taking the mass appeal away you effectively undermine the whole system and it will be the beginning of the end.
SheepRanger wrote:
Damien wrote:
SheepRanger wrote:

People can be persuaded to agree to many things, with the promise of additional funding for the NHS. Out of interest, how much does the BBC cost the tax=payer over and above the license fee? Which i suspect many might object to, were it funding waiting room TVs rather than programming. Even the World Service is now funded by the license payer.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Satch - I wasnt aware the BBC was costing the taxpayer anything. I though their funding was solely by the licence fee or perhaps selling the rights to programmes they own. Surely their period dramas would fetch a few quid overseas and box set sales etc?

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm
Satch - I wasnt aware the BBC was costing the taxpayer anything. I though their funding was solely by the licence fee or perhaps selling the rights to programmes they own. Surely their period dramas would fetch a few quid overseas and box set sales etc?
Wouldn’t that be marvellous but no, the BBC is funded by the government who are now making sure they get their money’s worth
QPR shit but local

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm
Wouldn’t that be marvellous but no, the BBC is funded by the government who are now making sure they get their money’s worth
Privatisation!