The ashes

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: The ashes

Post by Satch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 am

222gers wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:56 pm
We need to concentrate on proper cricket in this country ie county cricket and of course test cricket. Limited over cricket is just glorified baseball by another name. We don't have batsmen used to accumulating runs with concentration. We don't have enough fast bowlers. They used to say you could holler down a pit in Yorkshire and a fast bowler would pop up. Not any more.
Agreed, if you look at (QPR fan) James Vince, he hasn't seen a delivery he doesn't fancy, inevitably getting caught behind or in the cordon. Cook obviously had those skills but isn't the player he was. Malan seemed to have a bit of grit but the likes of Root (who should have stepped up to bat 3), Ali and Bairstow don't have the game to dig in really. There isn't ever the fortitude we need, we've been prone to collapse for as long as i've been watching cricket and bat like a team coached by Ramprakash. In contrast how many times has a lower order batsman made the Aussie's total look respectable? Ultimately though, the contrast in bowling attacks was just too great. They're not a great Aussie side but they've got a batsman in the form of his life and a corps of bowlers who bowl with genuine pace and can plough through a line-up as a group. The tone has been set though, the county season is arranged around limited overs cricket and Bayliss has admitted to not paying attention to it, which is disgraceful.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:12 pm

I don't know a great deal about Aussie domestic cricket but I gather the State Competition is a better grounding and a bit more like test cricket than the mishmash of matches we have during our summer. I'd rather go down to Ham Common and watch Ham v Ealing than see the slogfest of limited over matches.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 am

222gers wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:12 pm
I don't know a great deal about Aussie domestic cricket but I gather the State Competition is a better grounding and a bit more like test cricket than the mishmash of matches we have during our summer. I'd rather go down to Ham Common and watch Ham v Ealing than see the slogfest of limited over matches.
Probably yes, but the 'Big Bash' T20 competition runs from mid December to the beginning of February and thereby dominates the middle of the Aussie cricket season.
Question everything.