The ashes

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 2100
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Location: The daddy of Abbots

Re: The ashes

Post by ActonArthur » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:10 pm

Don wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:16 pm
This is an intriguing Test. I stayed up all night watching the first day and, despite the slow pace, found it absorbing - proper old-school cricket. It was a shame we collapsed on the second day but it augers well that our three 'unknowns' scored the bulk of the runs. Cook (probably) and Root (certainly) will get runs this series.

Brisbane is traditionally where the Aussies land a huge opening punch. Those effectively finished us off in 2006 & 2013. The same looked to have happened in 2010, especially with us conceding a huge first innings' deficit when, for a while, parity, or even a lead seemed more likely. The batting of Strauss, Cook and Trott knocked the wind out of the Australians' sails and effectively set us up for a series win. The main thing is not to lose at the 'Gabba - the convicts rely on that flying start and the momentum it brings.

We have an interesting three days coming up. But if we don't get a wicket before lunch then I fear the worst.
That’s well good that is.

User avatar
ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 2100
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Location: The daddy of Abbots

Re: The ashes

Post by ActonArthur » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:43 am

Ah well. That dream went the way of so many other England disappointments. Sounds like our bowling attack is ageing and not as effective as Australia’s. Moeen injury does not help.

Additionally, our key batsmen did not deliver. I wonder if we will see one or more retirements after this series. That said, if we do win in Adelaide, it will be game on again. Perhaps stokes might be back.

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6804
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: The ashes

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:02 pm

ActonArthur wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:43 am
Ah well. That dream went the way of so many other England disappointments. Sounds like our bowling attack is ageing and not as effective as Australia’s. Moeen injury does not help.

Additionally, our key batsmen did not deliver. I wonder if we will see one or more retirements after this series. That said, if we do win in Adelaide, it will be game on again. Perhaps stokes might be back.
5-0 Australia was a big price sumfin like 6/1
I so wish I'd backed it.

User avatar
ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 2100
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Location: The daddy of Abbots

Re: The ashes

Post by ActonArthur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Strangely proud of the team today. Very pleased to see AK score big. He was honest and delighted. Will be nice to win the test but long way to go for that..

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: The ashes

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 pm

At least England played well in the 4th test unlike West Indies who
were white-washed on their tour - I fear for cricket in the Caribbean.
Staff Benda Bilili

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6804
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: The ashes

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 pm
At least England played well in the 4th test unlike West Indies who
were white-washed on their tour - I fear for cricket in the Caribbean.
I’m sure the rum bums & beaches will make up for the cricket :D

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6804
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: The ashes

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:05 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:02 pm
ActonArthur wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:43 am
Ah well. That dream went the way of so many other England disappointments. Sounds like our bowling attack is ageing and not as effective as Australia’s. Moeen injury does not help.

Additionally, our key batsmen did not deliver. I wonder if we will see one or more retirements after this series. That said, if we do win in Adelaide, it will be game on again. Perhaps stokes might be back.
5-0 Australia was a big price sumfin like 6/1
I so wish I'd backed it.
Very pleased to see I didn’t miss out on the 5-0, it looked well worth a punt but now looking like 4-0 makes me feel a whole lot better.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3522
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: The ashes

Post by Satch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:41 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 pm
At least England played well in the 4th test unlike West Indies who
were white-washed on their tour - I fear for cricket in the Caribbean.
Me too. It's an absolute tragedy, some of the crowds for test cricket are abysmal now and the infrastructure is falling apart. I'd still love to go next winter.

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5700
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The ashes

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Whitewash or not, IMHO this has been a terrible Ashes tour...and in my several decades of watching Test cricket I have a bit of a benchmark against which to judge matters! :evil:

We've made an ordinary Aussie team look like a team of World beaters. Only a handful of the English team will be able to return with their heads held somewhat high and they certainly aren't the established individuals. If I were the ECB I would make most of them swim home! :twisted:
Question everything.

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6804
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: The ashes

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 pm
Whitewash or not, IMHO this has been a terrible Ashes tour...and in my several decades of watching Test cricket I have a bit of a benchmark against which to judge matters! :evil:

We've made an ordinary Aussie team look like a team of World beaters. Only a handful of the English team will be able to return with their heads held somewhat high and they certainly aren't the established individuals. If I were the ECB I would make most of them swim home! :twisted:
Maybe it’s because they are all English, haven’t we had a large South African influence over recent years, isn’t our best player the banned ginger a New Zealand’r?

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5700
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The ashes

Post by WA Hoop » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:31 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 pm
Whitewash or not, IMHO this has been a terrible Ashes tour...and in my several decades of watching Test cricket I have a bit of a benchmark against which to judge matters! :evil:

We've made an ordinary Aussie team look like a team of World beaters. Only a handful of the English team will be able to return with their heads held somewhat high and they certainly aren't the established individuals. If I were the ECB I would make most of them swim home! :twisted:
Maybe it’s because they are all English, haven’t we had a large South African influence over recent years, isn’t our best player the banned ginger a New Zealand’r?
Well, a lack of preparation might be part of the problem. Ahead of the Perth test they were too busy playing golf down the road from me or visiting WA's splendid wineries...go figure.
Question everything.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 10322
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: The ashes

Post by Damien » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 pm
Whitewash or not, IMHO this has been a terrible Ashes tour...and in my several decades of watching Test cricket I have a bit of a benchmark against which to judge matters! :evil:

We've made an ordinary Aussie team look like a team of World beaters. Only a handful of the English team will be able to return with their heads held somewhat high and they certainly aren't the established individuals. If I were the ECB I would make most of them swim home! :twisted:
Maybe it’s because they are all English, haven’t we had a large South African influence over recent years, isn’t our best player the banned ginger a New Zealand’r?
nailonhead

User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5200
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: The ashes

Post by BiscuitRanger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:27 pm

No doubt it was a desperately disappointing series... probably the dullest involving England I can remember. We may have won the odd session or two but rarely, if ever, were we competitive.
No doubt the team underperformed, as they are not so far away from being top 2 or 3 in world.
Maybe the one day matches will cheer me up...
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: The ashes

Post by 222gers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:56 pm

We need to concentrate on proper cricket in this country ie county cricket and of course test cricket. Limited over cricket is just glorified baseball by another name. We don't have batsmen used to accumulating runs with concentration. We don't have enough fast bowlers. They used to say you could holler down a pit in Yorkshire and a fast bowler would pop up. Not any more.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 7324
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: The ashes

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 pm
Whitewash or not, IMHO this has been a terrible Ashes tour...and in my several decades of watching Test cricket I have a bit of a benchmark against which to judge matters! :evil:

We've made an ordinary Aussie team look like a team of World beaters. Only a handful of the English team will be able to return with their heads held somewhat high and they certainly aren't the established individuals. If I were the ECB I would make most of them swim home! :twisted:
Maybe it’s because they are all English, haven’t we had a large South African influence over recent years, isn’t our best player the banned ginger a New Zealand’r?
The lack of Welsh players in the England & Wales team was a big mistake, or blatant racist bias which caused a divided squad.

Post Reply