Team selection

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Team selection

Post by White Duck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 pm

Great team selection by Warburton which eally worked well tonight: thought the defence all played great, especially the full backs. Manning seemed back to his early season form and got some good crosses in, Rangel's experience made a huge difference.
Cameron showed how much we missed him in the last few games with a brilliant performance, he dominated the midfield.
Pugh justified his selection with a hard working and intelligent performance: pleased for him.
Eze played well but his set pieces were erratic, BOS had some great moments too.
Hugill missed a great early chance which seemed to set the tome for the rest of his game.

Only thing I felt Warburton could've done differently was use the other two subs: Chair and perhaps Clarke to try to win the game.

Overall a decent performance with a point and a clean sheet I suspect the vast majority of us were not expecting
Lex Talionis........

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Team selection

Post by QPR_John » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm

White Duck wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 pm
Great team selection by Warburton which eally worked well tonight: thought the defence all played great, especially the full backs. Manning seemed back to his early season form and got some good crosses in, Rangel's experience made a huge difference.
Cameron showed how much we missed him in the last few games with a brilliant performance, he dominated the midfield.
Pugh justified his selection with a hard working and intelligent performance: pleased for him.
Eze played well but his set pieces were erratic, BOS had some great moments too.
Hugill missed a great early chance which seemed to set the tome for the rest of his game.

Only thing I felt Warburton could've done differently was use the other two subs: Chair and perhaps Clarke to try to win the game.

Overall a decent performance with a point and a clean sheet I suspect the vast majority of us were not expecting

Was this really a surprise. As good a player as he obviously is he is no set piece expert ( ok penalties apart).

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48 am

Thought our set pieces were not the best all round but that can happen in games.

Great effort from the team and although I thought our older legs were going to tire in the second half, they kept going.

Barbet was a real plus at the back with Hall. As WD says, Manning was another positive back at left back.

Honourable mention for Dom Ball in with Geoff Cameron, think they offered a decent shield for the defence today.

One of those games where we could have come away with three points but happy to have the one point away from home, a clean sheet and strong performance.

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 am

Devonranger wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48 am
Thought our set pieces were not the best all round but that can happen in games.

Great effort from the team and although I thought our older legs were going to tire in the second half, they kept going.

Barbet was a real plus at the back with Hall. As WD says, Manning was another positive back at left back.

Honourable mention for Dom Ball in with Geoff Cameron, think they offered a decent shield for the defence today.

One of those games where we could have come away with three points but happy to have the one point away from home, a clean sheet and strong performance.
Agree. What really matters is we turned around a losing streak and go into the Stoke game in a positive frame of mind. Credit Warbs with abandoning his ‘Do Plan A Better’ schtick, and picking a team and a system for the occasion!

qprhoops81
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by qprhoops81 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am

The issue manning has is that to play him you need a Pugh (or more defence minded attacker) in front of him. Or at least, you need a Rangel on the other side to help cover for when he bombs forward.

Think we either play Wallace and Kane or Manning and Rangel as both options give balance. I like the pairing of Manning and Rangel the most as having Rangel behind him also lets BOS play more offensively. Not comfortable with BOS and Kane as its too open (though to give him his due Kane was good against Leeds). We really need to sign a 5 years (at least) younger version of Angel.

Can we also use Manning for any set pieces as he is pretty consistent with them.
The problem with quotations on the internet is, you don't know whether they're accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

qprhoops81
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by qprhoops81 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am

[/quote]

Agree. What really matters is we turned around a losing streak and go into the Stoke game in a positive frame of mind. Credit Warbs with abandoning his ‘Do Plan A Better’ schtick, and picking a team and a system for the occasion!
[/quote]

To be fair to Warbs, there have been quite a few games (Cardiff especially) where he has picked a team to combat the strengths of the team we are playing.
The problem with quotations on the internet is, you don't know whether they're accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm

qprhoops81 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am
The issue manning has is that to play him you need a Pugh (or more defence minded attacker) in front of him. Or at least, you need a Rangel on the other side to help cover for when he bombs forward.

Think we either play Wallace and Kane or Manning and Rangel as both options give balance.
Think also there is Masterson. Seen Wallace looking after him a bit at times and perhaps MW feels more comfortable having him between Wallace and Hall than next to Manning.
qprhoops81 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am
We really need to sign a 5 years (at least) younger version of Angel.
yeah, agreed. In any case we need someone new in that position.

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:58 pm

I had a bit of a moan about the team selection but I was wrong and Warburton was spot on so I’ll shut me gob. :oops:
QPR shit but local