How long does Warburton have?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

How long does Warburton have?

Post by nic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:38 pm

I think there are a lot of us who like Warburton and respect what he has done with no money.

But it seems like his refusal to take defending seriously and to make decisions like sending our best defensive player away is going to turn fans against him in time - as it did at most of his former clubs.

And as we sink closer and closer to the relegation zone I wonder how long he has.

I’d love him to be given some money and a pre-season to see what we can do next year.

But there is a basic fundamental naivety which annoys me. It’s a bit like watching Arsenal under Wenger, only not as good obviously.

And I just wonder how much longer he has left.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: How long does Warburton have?

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm

wander off! the last thing that will make us any better is getting rid of another manager just because you've started your period. The majority of fans had us down for a relegation battle from the start of the season. Instead of which we have watched the best football in years with a team of kids coming through the academy and one of the highest scoring teams in the FL. The defence is too slow to be competitive in the Championship and it IS going to cost us games but get rid of the manager? Give your head a wobble.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm

nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:38 pm
But it seems like his refusal to take defending seriously and to make decisions like sending our best defensive player away is going to turn fans against him in time - as it did at most of his former clubs.
Agree with Esox on this one, but we've shipped yet another 2 goals again this afternoon and it's
definitely chipping away at Warburton's credibility.
Staff Benda Bilili

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:58 pm

2-3 years unless we are relegated.What a stupid question.Do you not understand the financial situation we are in?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:03 pm

I'm as browned off as anyone when we lose but clearly we can't change managers again. I can't see many putative managers coming to a club with zero transfer funds anyhow.

We expected to struggle this season and after that bright first few opening months, that's how it's turned out.

We'll just have to grin and bear it hoping for the requisite points necessary to stay up. Next season we may have the wherewithal to strengthen the squad.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:03 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm
nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:38 pm
Agree with Esox on this one, but we've shipped yet another 2 goals again this afternoon and it's
definitely chipping away at Warburton's credibility.
I think most sensible fans understand that we aren't going to have a Rolls Royce defence using Austin Maxi defenders brought in on Dacia Sandero money.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:06 pm

T-Block wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:58 pm
2-3 years unless we are relegated.What a stupid question.Do you not understand the financial situation we are in?
I'm not calling for the manager to be sacked but questions do need to be asked. The number of games where we have conceded two or more goals does seem excessive. We have let a defender go out on loan so presumably Warburton thinks Leisner is not the answer but I wonder if he does know the answer. If it is simply our defenders are not good enough then if we carry on conceding at the same rate relegation is inevitable.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:10 pm

Warburton is very safe for me

Recruitment needs looking at as we do seem behind on that, our net spread a lot wider

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:47 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:10 pm
Recruitment needs looking at as we do seem behind on that, our net spread a lot wider
Yeah, that really needs examination, apart from BOS and Eze some of the players who've arrived
are only League 1/2 standard and slow.

Again observing Brentford, their guys overall looked fitter and faster, a prerequisite for playing
professional football I would have thought.
Staff Benda Bilili

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:49 pm

T-Block wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:58 pm
It’s not a stupid question. I didn’t say he should go. But we have sacked managers for less. We don’t look like scoring right now, and we can’t keep a clean sheet. Two or three more defeats and things would turn very quickly at HQ. If you don’t think that’s true I don’t think you understand the psychology of chairmen and football fans.

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm
wander off! the last thing that will make us any better is getting rid of another manager just because you've started your period. The majority of fans had us down for a relegation battle from the start of the season. Instead of which we have watched the best football in years with a team of kids coming through the academy and one of the highest scoring teams in the FL. The defence is too slow to be competitive in the Championship and it IS going to cost us games but get rid of the manager? Give your head a wobble.
I simply asked a question. I wouldn’t get rid of him.

But managers tend to get replaced when they lose a bunch of games and end up near the relegation zone (just ask
Holloway) and he is sadly entering that territory.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm

nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:50 pm

But managers tend to get replaced when they lose a bunch of games and end up near the relegation zone (just ask
It was a very loaded question though, wasn't it ?

Not."is Warburton's job under threat", but "how long does he have" ? And you've started a brand new thread with it. Just a concerned fan though, I'm sure.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:18 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm
nic wrote:

Not."is Warburton's job under threat", but "how long does he have" ? And you've started a brand new thread with it. Just a concerned fan though, I'm sure.
I didn’t mean it that way.

Maybe the title could have been different.

It remains a perfectly sensible question.

Our chairman likes to get rid of managers fairly quickly. Warburton doesn’t tend to last too long at clubs.

My sense is the smart money would not be on him lasting too long, though many of us would give him more time.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:21 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm
Whilst I agree with everything you've said, there's no need for this drivel.

We're playing the best football since NW imo on the smallest budget, with (on paper) the least experienced and probably 'worst' team on paper. We're punching well above our weight in terms of league position and most performances. It's the not the manager who's costing us games for the large part.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:27 pm

nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:18 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm
nic wrote:

I didn’t mean it that way.

Maybe the title could have been different.

It remains a perfectly sensible question.

Our chairman likes to get rid of managers fairly quickly. Warburton doesn’t tend to last too long at clubs.

My sense is the smart money would not be on him lasting too long, though many of us would give him more time.
The thing is, I think threads like this on social media contribute in their own small way to increasing pressure on the manager when we lose a few games. There are enough dickheads out there who will do this in a heartbeat , so I don't think it helps when more thoughtful fans like yourself do the same.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?