I watched the game on Sky ...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

I watched the game on Sky ...

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:17 pm

My thoughts -

Lumley is taking a lot of stick, but I think once again he wasn't helped by those in front of him. The first goal he stood no chance after Benrahma lost his marker. The second - why did he decide to kick it long? The commentators had talked about the wind being a factor, so kicking into the wind was never going to be a good idea. Cameron's header put him in more trouble, though maybe had he been off his line a bit quicker he might have got something on it. The third was more poor marking/ defending.

I thought the defence was weaker with Kane and Manning coming in - the previous two games had showed us almost by default a stronger and more robust pairing, but we decided to revert to what we had before, with familiar results.

The ref booked 5 QPR players but none from Brentford. It wasn't a dirty game, but the ref seemed happy to blow up for fouls against us, but not when our players hit the deck. Some poor decisions out there today from all of the officials.

I notice some areas of social media are slating Lumley and Warburton ... that's really going to help :oops: We won't go down this season and we wont go up, so while I'm always disappointed when we lose, today was expected. They started quicker and with more intensity than we did, and it wasn't until the second half we got to grips. On another day we might have got at least another goal, or even got a point, but we made things difficult for ourselves, so no real complaints. Apart from it is so easy to score against us, and that is something that really needs to be addressed in training.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: I watched the game on Sky ...

Post by Rbee » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:25 pm

The second I thought Joe was trying to play a pass rather than simply kick it long.

Beaten by the better side today but for me our biggest mistake, not for the first time, was making changes too late.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:31 pm

Biggest mistake today was the team selection.
Lex Talionis........

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Don't matter where you watched it, you'd have seen the same thing.

Both teams average age just over 24; their young players just as at HQ were quicker, more
urgent, technically more adept.

Why don't we as a club examine what they've done and try to emulate because it is working for them.
10 years ago they were a joke, now we're far behind where they're at.
Is it purely financial? Their business model is pretty robust and our FFP albatross isn't helping.
Staff Benda Bilili

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:53 am

you mean, cut back the wage bill, acquire players for cheap and try to sell them on later for good money?
We even recruited their old boss, so I don't know what more you could expect.

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 am

Their chairman is low profile but gets results - promotion from League 1 and possibly heading for the Premier League next season in a brand new stadium. Meanwhile we've wasted two shots at the Premier League and the parachute payments from the second time, while failing to build either a new stadium or a training facility - why hasn't work started at Warren Farm?

A significant part of our fanbase is now conditioned to mediocrity and a lack of aspiration. The Championship this year is very low on quality; Millwall are currently seventh ffs!

Sadly until the current owners sell up, we're going nowhere. Cue the 'who else will buy 'umble old us' lamentations.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 am

Disagree that we’re going nowhere. We’re making baby steps. The team is marginally better than last season and definitely more entertaining. We also have sale able assets. That’s got to be progress.

It would be good to get an update on the training ground though.

The owners have been bad, but I think they may be getting better. We will see.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:40 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 am
Their chairman is low profile but gets results - promotion from League 1 and possibly heading for the Premier League next season in a brand new stadium. Meanwhile we've wasted two shots at the Premier League and the parachute payments from the second time, while failing to build either a new stadium or a training facility - why hasn't work started at Warren Farm?

A significant part of our fanbase is now conditioned to mediocrity and a lack of aspiration. The Championship this year is very low on quality; Millwall are currently seventh ffs!

Sadly until the current owners sell up, we're going nowhere. Cue the 'who else will buy 'umble old us' lamentations.
I agree we seem to be going nowhere but one could argue that there isn't really anywhere to go. Fans used to dream of promotion or FA Cup glory. Now the cup is devalued as we all know and promotion usually means becoming cannon fodder for the big clubs and getting mullahed every week.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:58 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:40 am
Albert Steptoe wrote:

I agree we seem to be going nowhere but one could argue that there isn't really anywhere to go. Fans used to dream of promotion or FA Cup glory. Now the cup is devalued as we all know and promotion usually means becoming cannon fodder for the big clubs and getting mullahed every week.
For us it’s meant that, but other clubs have done pretty well out of it. Clubs like Leicester, Bournemouth, Sheffield United.

I still dream of the playoff and promotion and would definitely count that as going somewhere, even if we did get relegated subsequently (which isn’t a given).

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:59 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:58 pm
222gers wrote:
Albert Steptoe wrote:

For us it’s meant that in the past, but other clubs have done pretty well out of it. Clubs like Leicester, Bournemouth, Sheffield United.

I still dream of the playoffs and promotion and would definitely count that as going somewhere, even if we did get relegated subsequently (which isn’t a given).

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:36 pm

222gers wrote:
Albert Steptoe wrote:

nailonhead

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:01 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm
Don't matter where you watched it, you'd have seen the same thing.

Both teams average age just over 24; their young players just as at HQ were quicker, more
urgent, technically more adept.

Why don't we as a club examine what they've done and try to emulate because it is working for them.
10 years ago they were a joke, now we're far behind where they're at.
Is it purely financial? Their business model is pretty robust and our FFP albatross isn't helping.
If it were as easy as just copying what they've done, I'm sure lots of clubs would be doing it. Their owner has a business background in statistical research and sports modelling and has employed that expertise for the club of whom he's a fan. I'm not sure how widely that skillset is available.

Plus their current business model depends on them selling at least one player a year for £10M +, and then using a proportion of that to strengthen the team, either from abroad or the lower divisions.Personally,I think we're still poor at spotting up and coming talent from outside the UK. I thought that's what Penrice was brought in to do, but it never really materialised.

We're years behind Brentford, but at least we do now have a few players who could potentially be sold for good money. What we do with that money when the time comes will determine whether we can close the gap on them or not.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?