Just Back On The Island...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Just Back On The Island...

Post by SM » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:49 pm

Well, what a great 3 points that was!

Despite our horrible record against Blackburn, I have to say that I was quietly confident that we would win yesterday. For me, we didn’t show up against WBA last weekend & I’m still at a loss to explain the Cardiff game.

In truth, the first half could have gone either way. But I thought we just about edged it.

The opener was another textbook move that we’ve come to expect from this side. After switching the ball to the left side, Manning put in a superb whipped cross which found its way to Wells who made no mistake in smashing home. 1-0.

We started the second half brilliantly, and after a beautifully threaded ball from Manning, Eze bundled his way past the last defender and confidently stroked home. 2-0.

Despite conceding another penalty, the response was superb, and BOS effectively killed the game with his well taken goal.

Hugill charged through past the Blackburn defender shortly after, but could only stretch to poke the ball wide of the post with just the keeper to beat. He really should have squared the ball to Wells who would have been left with a simple tap in for the 4th.

However, Hugill made no mistake shortly after following ANOTHER superb cross from Manning.

Kelly had absolutely no chance with Blackburn’s late goal. But we ran out very comfortable winners which capped another great performance and shed load of goals in W12.

I know there’s been a lot made over the lack of a clean sheet, not to mention the number of penalties that we’re (particularly Barbet!) giving away. But I much rather revel in this attacking philosophy than focus on the clear defensive issues.

We’ve been transformed from being a pretty dull, predictable, dare I say... boring side, into a youthful, entertaining and very exciting one.

Warburton has said a number of times that we’ll have good and bad days, but we’re great to watch and very capable on our day.

There’s just something about this team that I really like... Give me this over any of the other sides we’ve seen over the last few years.

Player Ratings

Kelly - All eyes on him, and I thought he did okay. Perhaps could have done better from the penalty, and he’s also not the biggest which made him appear less commanding than Lumley. He does however look a lot better with his feet and distribution, which we know is important in this side. Does look quite a character though, he didn’t stop shouting at any player in his radius for the full 90 minutes!

Manning - Best player on the pitch, bar none. He was just faultless. Defensively, I think that’s arguably the best game he’s had for us. But his use and quality on the ball was absolutely first class. Wicked cross in to help contribute to the first, delicate through ball to Eze for the second, and hung up a wonderful ball for Hugill (the type he probably dreams of in his sleep) to power home for the 4th. We all talk about the likes of Eze & Chair who have rightly got mountains of praise this season, and I don’t think Manning will slip under the radar for much longer. Wallace hasn’t got a chance in the world of getting a look in if he plays anything like this. Quite how he’s not first choice for ROI I don’t know.

Leistner - I still maintain that he’s the best CB we have at the club, and he was very good again. Perhaps at fault for the penalty as the ball appeared to slip in behind him, but he’ll be happy with his days work. Two quite stunning long range passes out from the back too. Critical to keep him fit.

Barbet - I actually really like him as a player, he’s a good footballer with a wonderful left foot, and clearly very comfortable on the ball. But defensively, he’s very prone to runners in behind and his lack of pace really shows.

Cameron - I’ll start by saying that I’m a huge Cameron fan. I was delighted that we signed him this summer, and I would definitely have him in my first 11. But his recent form has concerned me. Much like Scowen, I’m not sure that he’s capable of playing in the mould that Warburton wants. He’s a proper no nonsense footballer. Big, strong, unspectacular. Watching him dribble out from the back and thread intricate passes through the lines? Not for me. Think he’s been quite poor on the ball over the last 3 games.

Rangel - A typically solid performance. One hilarious moment at the end of the second half where he blasted beyond two Blackburn defenders, ended up in the penalty area with the ball trapped between his feet, and did a 180(?) degree spin on the ball before seeing his shot cannon off the defenders leg. I think we all know that Kane will be the first choice RB this season, but Rangel’s experience is just invaluable. Always does a job.

BOS - Delighted to see him on the scoresheet. We all know he has pace to burn, but for me he received the ball to feet far too often - which saw him struggle to really hurt and get in behind them. Superb turn & finish for his goal.

Scowen - Far better performance from him. As mentioned, not 100% confident that he can play like this long-term, but defensively whoever plays CM for us has one huge job on his hands, and I think he did admirably well. Wonderful turn and cross for BOS goal, and battled well throughout the game. Nice to see him back playing nearer to his level.

Chair - What a player. Thought he was in with a shout of MOTM, but Manning had a hand in 3 goals, so couldn’t look beyond him. Chair will always look good on the eye, but I’ve been very impressed with how he’s dealing with the physical side to the game. He does get a kicking, but his work-rate and enthusiasm is so infectious. Received a wonderful ovation when subbed off by Ellerslie Road, and was high-fiving and signing autographs all the way round to the dugout. Lovely moment and lovely performance.

Eze - Typically brilliant. Finished his goal very well and they just couldn’t lay a glove on him. He’s wonderful to watch on his day with the crowd behind him. Can only say what I’ve said all season, enjoy him whilst you can. Destined for the top.

Wells - Agreed with the decision to start with him over Hugill, and he delivered for us. His finishing has been superb this season, but his movement and pace opens so many doors for Eze & Co to exploit. Interesting that he hinted about remaining in W12 permanently... I do hope so.

Subs

Pugh - I’m still not sure where his best position is, but he definitely has something about him. Lovely piece of skill that dazzled their left back, but no other notable contribution.

Hugill - Always good to see a striker grab a goal, and I thought his finish was very well taken. He thrives off of that kind of service. Really should have squared the ball to Wells earlier in the half, but he did make an impression and give something for Warburton to think about.

Mlakar - Would like to see more of him as it’s very difficult to judge based on these little cameo’s. Nice run in the second half when he was through behind their last defender, but ruthlessly hacked down on the touch line. Still can’t see him threatening Wells or Hugill for a starting spot though.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Just Back On The Island...

Post by White Duck » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Great report SM, agree with how you saw the game.

For me Cameron is the best DM we have (if fit) but Scowen offers a lot more offensively. It looks like he makes more mistakes than a lot of players but I think this is magnified as he always shows for and wants the ball. After having players like Cousins who hid from the ball IMO its positive to see. Not convinced by New Matt Smith or Luke Amos yet but its early days for them.
Lex Talionis........

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:32 am

Nice reports, that's how I saw it too, although some of the Blackburn supporters thought we were shite...…

I just wonder what they thought of their team, really, Danny Graham and Bradley Dack? Both looked overweight and short of puff.

But more about us, the game was a "slow burner" I felt and once we'd got the lead we were away. Agree about Chair, does a lot of stuff that goes without praise but is essential to the team.

Really great at Rangers this season, just hope we can keep it up, no injuries or transfers window leavers to unbalance what we have.

Top six might just be possible??
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

QPR1976
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 am

One thing I’ll add about Cameron is that (IMO) he reads the game better than the rest, sees things early and reacts ahead of others.
Guess that’s to be expected of someone with Premier experience but to me it’s very noticeable.....

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 pm

White Duck wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 pm
Great report SM, agree with how you saw the game.

For me Cameron is the best DM we have (if fit) but Scowen offers a lot more offensively. It looks like he makes more mistakes than a lot of players but I think this is magnified as he always shows for and wants the ball. After having players like Cousins who hid from the ball IMO its positive to see. Not convinced by New Matt Smith or Luke Amos yet but its early days for them.
Me too White Duck, we’re definitely stronger with him in the middle... Even more so as we’ve been playing with two number 10’s and two strikers.

Interesting point on players hiding from the ball and Scowen. I do think he’s a bit of a liability at times, but he’s always brave in possession. Can’t fault him for that.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:23 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:32 am
I just wonder what they thought of their team, really, Danny Graham and Bradley Dack? Both looked overweight and short of puff.

Really great at Rangers this season, just hope we can keep it up, no injuries or transfers window leavers to unbalance what we have.

Top six might just be possible??
Yep, they looked miles short didn’t they? Armstrong looked quite a handful though. I thought that they looked a decent side during spells of the game.

It will be interesting to see how this season goes. The first goal in particular at the weekend was a fabulous team effort... I’m surprised it’s not been talked about a lot more in the media etc.

Anything can happen this season.