Just Back

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Just Back

Post by White Duck » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Decent crowd for an early round sugary drink cup game rewarded with an entertaining effort from both teams.

Some good performances and some not so good but all the players put in a decent shift. Wells Man of the Match for me: great goal, loads of effort, hit the bar and scored a prenalty too. He looks motivated and hungry. Manning was great: tireless and involved in so much we did. Still learning at left back but one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. Chair took his chance to impress: loads of skill and tenacity and looks so dangerous in and around the area. Good to see Leistner back and he put in a strong performance. Impressed with Mlakar when he came on, and Charlie Owens did well too. Scowen still not at his best but kept going and never hides. Pugh did some good stuff but tired well before the end. Kelly looked shakey and hesitant but redeemed himself with the penalties: Lumley clear Number 1 at the moment IMO. Matt Smith didn''t have the best of games, culminating with a missed penalty, Dominic Ball was solid enough in defensive midfield but offered very little when moved to right back. Kane wasn't brilliant tonight but will be an importsnt plasyer for us, as will Barbet.

Only disappointment was that only half of the team bothered to clap the fans. Good night overall though!
Lex Talionis........

volpone
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Just Back

Post by volpone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Chair just shades it as motm for me. Took his goal well and was constantly busy and inventive around the 18-yard box. Pushing for a start. Manning impressed as did Wells, whose goal was class.

Deserved a bigger crowd. Great entertainment. Bristol City played their part. All their three goals were very well taken but their third - a free - was outrageous.

Great to get a first home win of the season. Breeds confidence.

Onwards!

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 am

Still getting my head around replacing one Matt Smith with another :o

les demoiselles d'avignon
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by les demoiselles d'avignon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Still getting my head round our two best players - Manning, Chair - could have been playing all of last season. But, you know, Bidwell, Cousins.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Was thinking similar but we have had these boys before then, although would you say that both going out on loan last season gave them more game time (than if they had stayed) to prepare for this season?

And we still have Paul Smyth to come back in ...

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 pm

volpone wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 pm
Chair just shades it as motm for me. Took his goal well and was constantly busy and inventive around the 18-yard box.
He came on to very good effect on Saturday as well. Him in for Scowen?
Staff Benda Bilili

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:04 pm

To be honest, some of these players were ready at the end of the season before last and had Olly not been kicked in the LJ's then they would've been playing regularly last season. That includes Chair, Manning and possibly Smythe as well.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 pm

Chair and Eze in the same midfield would take quite a bit of accommodating. I’d love to see it tho

volpone
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by volpone » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Calling for a start. Feels like you shouldn’t be able to fit him and Eze in. But take a look at the video on the club’s site which followed Chair last night. He does a huge amount of work off the ball too.
Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 pm
volpone wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 pm
Chair just shades it as motm for me. Took his goal well and was constantly busy and inventive around the 18-yard box.
He came on to very good effect on Saturday as well. Him in for Scowen?

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Montag wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:04 pm
To be honest, some of these players were ready at the end of the season before last and had Olly not been kicked in the LJ's then they would've been playing regularly last season. That includes Chair, Manning and possibly Smythe as well.
Because they are looking good now, after the benefit of the extra time and coaching to build their games and mature, physically and mentally, does not mean they were ready last season.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:56 am

les demoiselles d'avignon wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm
Still getting my head round our two best players - Manning, Chair - could have been playing all of last season. But, you know, Bidwell, Cousins.
I like Chair, I really do. I was speaking up for him before the season started. But if SMc had said at the start of last season that his first team would include Manning at left back and Chair as one of the holding midfielders of a 4231, people would have thought he was madder than a box of frogs.

I agree he's done well, but I wouldn't try to shoehorn him in to the first team now. BOS and Eze have earned their places over more than a couple of games, and MW has clearly been playing terrier-like box-to-box midfielders in the centre of the 3 for a reason, so I wouldn't have him replace Scowen either. Instead I'd be looking to keep subbing him in as an option and to keep the attack (and our players) fresh. His time in the starting lineup will come naturally as someone gets injured or suspended, or just loses a bit of form.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:19 am

jimjams wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:56 am
les demoiselles d'avignon wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm
I like Chair, I really do. I was speaking up for him before the season started. But if SMc had said at the start of last season that his first team would include Manning at left back and Chair as one of the holding midfielders of a 4231, people would have thought he was madder than a box of frogs.

I agree he's done well, but I wouldn't try to shoehorn him in to the first team now. BOS and Eze have earned their places over more than a couple of games, and MW has clearly been playing terrier-like box-to-box midfielders in the centre of the 3 for a reason, so I wouldn't have him replace Scowen either. Instead I'd be looking to keep subbing him in as an option and to keep the attack (and our players) fresh. His time in the starting lineup will come naturally as someone gets injured or suspended, or just loses a bit of form.
It may well be wise to bring Chair in more gradually. I think fans are so excited by him that we want him in now - me included really. I would be surprised if Scowen holds onto a starting position though and there are others who should be able play in that advanced box to box position - Amos or Smith perhaps. I would like to see Chair tried in that role eventually.

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:18 am

bigbobb wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm
Montag wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:04 pm
Because they are looking good now, after the benefit of the extra time and coaching to build their games and mature, physically and mentally, does not mean they were ready last season.
I agree with the above
When Manning came back from Rotherham, his initial impact wasn't that good. Personally , I would like to see him left midfield, he is still learning. Was at Huddersfield game - and he looked very good ..got caught a few times...
Chair...(IMO) needed the match time....because lets face it.... Eze still gets some bad press. Chairs time on loan has paid dividends, sofa anyway. Looked very busy when he came on Saturday.
Eze..well just keeps getting better.

Were they ready ? Who cares, they are ready now and all three looking very good.

One other thing. I just like listening to " no bullshit " Mark W.