Mental health in Football

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Post Reply
User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20993
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Mental health in Football

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm

A very interesting article. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48279772
Fans seem to forget that their players are people too with the same range of emotions and fears as everyone else. It's one of the reasons I hate to hear players being loudly abused at games or see it in SM. Anyone who thinks that just because they earn a lot of money they can't have mental issues is a moron.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5728
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Mental health in Football

Post by WA Hoop » Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm
A very interesting article. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48279772
Fans seem to forget that their players are people too with the same range of emotions and fears as everyone else. It's one of the reasons I hate to hear players being loudly abused at games or see it in SM. Anyone who thinks that just because they earn a lot of money they can't have mental issues is a moron.
naughty

Which in itself is an, albeit outmoded, label for mental disability and thereby undermines your otherwise interesting post on an important issue.
Question everything.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20993
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Mental health in Football

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm
A very interesting article. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48279772
Fans seem to forget that their players are people too with the same range of emotions and fears as everyone else. It's one of the reasons I hate to hear players being loudly abused at games or see it in SM. Anyone who thinks that just because they earn a lot of money they can't have mental issues is a moron.
naughty

Which in itself is an, albeit outmoded, label for mental disability and thereby undermines your otherwise interesting post on an important issue.
Cretin?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5728
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Mental health in Football

Post by WA Hoop » Sat May 18, 2019 5:04 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm
A very interesting article. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48279772
Fans seem to forget that their players are people too with the same range of emotions and fears as everyone else. It's one of the reasons I hate to hear players being loudly abused at games or see it in SM. Anyone who thinks that just because they earn a lot of money they can't have mental issues is a moron.
naughty

Which in itself is an, albeit outmoded, label for mental disability and thereby undermines your otherwise interesting post on an important issue.
Cretin?
Nincompoop.

Less negative mental connotations.
Question everything.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20993
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Mental health in Football

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat May 18, 2019 7:29 am

Fair enough. My point still stands about loudly abusing players during a game or on SM though.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: redin

Re: Mental health in Football

Post by redinjun » Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 pm

I never joined in the Clinton you're a c##t type rubbish,it always seems to inspire elevated performance which we were hoping to avoid and it's just a bit rude. Just because someone plays for another team doesn't make them a free object of extreme verbal abuse.

Mental health is a massive world wide issue, too many parents don't understand their role in building a safe, loving, connected environment. The absence of these opens the door to a myriad of coping strategies that can look like anything from being a twat to full on addict, high profile people like footballers are the tip of the iceberg, and a useful way to start the conversation.

Post Reply