Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Brentford

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Brentford

Post by krama » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:02 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:30 pm
krama wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:29 pm
a point off the play offs currently. Bet the doubting Thomas's are sick. :D
Your irony blind spot doesn't seem to extend to grasping you wouldn't be happy, clearly, unless you could use our good results to virtue signal with numbing predictability at 5pm. (I suspect the latter is far more important to you then the former.) Why not just own up to your own depressive/miserabilist unconscious rather than project it onto others all the time?
oh do be quiet. :twisted:
bet you hate not having an excuse to have moan about QPR... so you now have a moan at me.
Now go away and put me on ignore....please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aniwall

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:05 pm

222gers wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:19 pm
krama wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:55 pm
very quiet here after a great win... How strange.
In the pub celebrating. Do one.
All this drinking after the game disgusts me.... :wink:
I know you're joking hence the winkie, but I actually agree with that. Why does everything revolve around alcohol and the bloody pub.
Nice cup of tea does the trick.

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:55 pm
nic wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 pm
All fair enough. But we’ve had good players before and been abject in the last few years, so I think you have to give credit to a lot of credit to the manager for making it work.

I personally think Ollie did a good job and I didn’t want to see him sacked. It’s only a few matches, but this has been as good as it’s been for a long while.
Yes that is right. Just having good players is not enough. It is important to remember, though, we don’t actually own the players that effected the transformation ... I wonder if we could ever actually afford to sign them permanently ...
Players want to play, maybe if they're happy getting some action here they might cut their cloth so to speak?
We can but hope ...

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:24 pm

krama wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:05 pm
222gers wrote:
stainesranger wrote:

I know you're joking hence the winkie, but I actually agree with that. Why does everything revolve around alcohol and the bloody pub.
You'd probably have been much at home in the Puritan Middle Ages, krama, than the 21C modern world! As for preferring a nice cup of tea, that's one thing you have in common with Boy George at least! :D
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:03 am

Very good performance today. Horrible conditions - I still feel damp despite being dry but a very enjoyable game. Pleasures of the Paddock! Well done to the players for really battling back well.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:31 am

krama wrote:
I know you're joking hence the winkie, but I actually agree with that. Why does everything revolve around alcohol and the bloody pub. Nice cup of tea does the trick.
What with that and abjuring harsh language, you're not a man of the cloth by any chance are you krama?
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:41 am

Watched the game on hols in Sydney at 2 in the bastard morning. Quality result. Agree with the comments about Cameron and Rangel. We had better sign him on longer terms in january.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 am

nic wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm
Has he? Or has he just been given better players? The difference to me is that we have a quality player in midfield, Rangel at the back, and a new strike force that is not quite good enough for the prem but very good for the championship.

The difference between our crap start and our good patch is not our manager. That stayed the same. It is the addition of new players.

Credit to Steve M for selecting the right people of course. And blending them in to a good team. And reviving the spirit. I have been very impressed. But let’s not pretend he turned around a bad squad. He just brought in better.

Given that, one thing I am intrigued by is how the money worked.

Was it that the same deal (ie Ned and Smithies out and these four come in) was on offer to Ollie but he decided to stick with what we had?

That seems off though - were Ned and Smithies really on enough money to bring in four premier leaguers? Was that why we effectively tried to get Ned to go, rather that making him any kind of offer?

And if not, is it just that we now have more investment in wages and so better players? But how was that possible given our budget constraints?

I don’t mean this as a gripe - all power to the club for getting it right.

But I can’t be the only one wondering how Ollie’s team (eg on the back of a few wins in a row) would have done if it had been supplemented with Cameron, Wells and the rest instead of having Washington up front ...

(Which, just to be crystal clear, does not mean I want Ollie back! I’m just genuinely interested in how all of a sudden we can fork out for players that last season seemed completely out of reach).
Cameron isn't a "Premier Leaguer". He's on loan from Stoke, and wasn't in the manager's plans there. Rangel had been released by Swansea, another Championship side, and was without a club when we signed him. Wells and Hemed are at PL clubs, but have never really made the step up to playing at that level.

I doubt that any of them are really costing us a fortune, and we did release half a dozen players in the summer, before selling Smithies and only bringing in one senior player, and that on a free transfer.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Sssssh! stop quoting facts, it only clouds the issue. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:31 am
krama wrote:
I know you're joking hence the winkie, but I actually agree with that. Why does everything revolve around alcohol and the bloody pub. Nice cup of tea does the trick.
What with that and abjuring harsh language, you're not a man of the cloth by any chance are you krama?
haha no, in fact men of the cloth can be hard drinkers. No reason why they shouldn't be really.
No, just don't like the stuff really, simple as that. 8)
If someone says they are a non smoker, no reaction....but if you say you don't drink, people think you are from another planet and their jaws drop with incredulity. All very strange really. Well done for conforming to that perception anyway! :D
Last edited by krama on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:09 pm

krama wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
krama wrote:
haha no, in fact men of the cloth can be hard drinkers, witnessed it first hand. No reason why they shouldn't be really.
No, just don't like the stuff, simple as that really. 8)
So why not live and let live with those who don't give a wander about swearing? You have your way of life, and no-one is asking you to change it, why can't you reciprocate?

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:09 pm
krama wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:

haha no, in fact men of the cloth can be hard drinkers, witnessed it first hand. No reason why they shouldn't be really.
No, just don't like the stuff, simple as that really. 8)
So why not live and let live with those who don't give a wander about swearing? You have your way of life, and no-one is asking you to change it, why can't you reciprocate?
Just added a bit to my post EL. What do you think?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Not sure what to make of it; I know a fair few non drinkers, for various reasons, and I am only an occasional drinker, currently haven't had any alcohol for over a month now but have bought the ingredients to make some Christmas time Margharitas. I also have a bottle of Red wine for consumption around that time too. As I said in my post, each to their own and it's not my call to judge them on their choices.
I must admit that I was aggrieved at your assumption that only unintelligent people with poor vocabularies swear as I would back my intelligence and vocabulary against anyone's on this board. Not necessarily the highest but above average. I just did a quick online vocabulary test as I had forgotten what my score was the last time I did one and the result was "Your English Vocabulary Size is:30325" I didn't have time to do an online IQ test but the last time I did one for a job interview( around 20 years ago) which involved both IQ and other psychometric testing my IQ was 172, which I know to be a decent score. It doesn't pay to generalise or assume anyone's intelligence online by what they post.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:06 pm

krama wrote:
222gers wrote:
stainesranger wrote:

If only everything did revolve around the pub ! Repositories of wit, wisdom and good cheer but closing down at an alarming rate despite the valiant efforts of us stalwarts to keep things going.
Oh, I love real tea too.....not yer run ofthe mill teabags though. I like Waitrose Assam loose leaf.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
krama wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star