Favourite Loftus Road moments...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Favourite Loftus Road moments...

Post by White Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Good post DBHoops: some great memories there.
Lex Talionis........

StevenageRanger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by StevenageRanger » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:22 pm

For me in recent years it has to be the Jamie Mackie goal vs Liverpool.

I sit front row lower loft with the kids and to have him score that and run and stand in front of us with the “shrugging” shoulders look was mental.

Also the Wigan play off night.

Going back a bit and when I was a kid (so it’s more what stuck in my head and not very clear) was the 82 1/4 final vs Palace. Was there loads of horses on the pitch at the end or did I dream it? I was only 7

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:49 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:51 am
A midweek goal and a cross going over Seaman to the far post for Ian Rush to rise and head downwards for a certain goal. Harry arches backwards and manages to palm the ball up and over the crossbar for a corner. Better than Gordon Banks' save from Pele, a view shared by a Liverpool supporting friend who was right in front of the save at the School End and said it was a real talking point on the way out of the ground. It was one of those moments of greatness that few are privileged to see live.
I presume you don't mean Mr Redknapp made a surreal goalkeeping intervention? Wasn't 'Harry' Seaman's nickname at Arsenal? Can't remember it really being used by Rs fans.

On a more enjoyably hostile/infantile theme, I can remember standing on the Clock End at Highbury singing 'I want to play for Arsenal' at him in a kind of castrated childish unison with about 5,000 Rangers fans. Sometime in the early 1990s, I guess.

For those posters of a psychoanalytic persuasion, I also had a strange dream of meeting David S. through a window and making an emotional goodbye to him. (I assumed it was some kind of dream pun about foregoing w*nking.)
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Where do you suppose the Arse fans got it from? He was known as Harry by the Rangers players, at the time, from the day he joined the club. cf Michael Wale interview about it.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:26 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 pm
Good post DBHoops: some great memories there.
Cheers mi' duck!

I know I've missed loads and no doubt something random will pop into my head but win, lose or draw, Loftus Road is home with so many memories both human and football related. I've watched kids grow into men, I've been in areas where people have been taken too soon. When or if we move those memories will never be taken away.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 pm
Where do you suppose the Arse fans got it from? He was known as Harry by the Rangers players, at the time, from the day he joined the club. cf Michael Wale interview about it.
Thanks for that. I said among the fans, not the players, though. :|

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 pm

One I forgot, Danny Dichio's cracker at Wolves.

I was working in Wolverhampton at the time that day and went to the game. Queued for 30 mins to get in and Plod started pushing us on horses. As one guy pointed out there were women and children there and pushing us around served nothing. First time I've ever seen people around be anit-plod and rightly so.

Got in 15 mins late to find myself in amongst 5000 Wolves supporters behind the home goal.

Dichio scores a wonder goal and the place goes to hush apart from me bouncing and yelling, look around, I'm practically by myself.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHiAZ5ogbo

7.30 in, wonderful strike, still sends tingles :o
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 pm
One I forgot, Danny Dichio's cracker at Wolves.

I was working in Wolverhampton at the time that day and went to the game. Queued for 30 mins to get in and Plod started pushing us on horses. As one guy pointed out there were women and children there and pushing us around served nothing. First time I've ever seen people around be anit-plod and rightly so.

Got in 15 mins late to find myself in amongst 5000 Wolves supporters behind the home goal.

Dichio scores a wonder goal and the place goes to hush apart from me bouncing and yelling, look around, I'm practically by myself.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHiAZ5ogbo

7.30 in, wonderful strike, still sends tingles :o
Ah yes: I was living nearby in Droitwich Spa with my girlfriend at the time so dragged her along: we were thoroughly outplayed and I remember starting to moan and say he'll never score from there when Danny drew his foot back to shoot from miles out....

Not a Loftus Road moment though! :wink:
Lex Talionis........

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:10 pm

That's right White Duck

I just looked back up to see if it had posted OK then re-read the original post "Loftus Road moments"......

school boy error..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

still a wonderful goal though, from a player who, if I remember rightly, used to get a fair bit of stick - mainly for wandering around looking like he'd like to sit down somewhere....

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:40 pm

Though he had an OK scoring record in his 70 odd games for us in four years, I agree he was one of those sullen/lazy looking players - a bit like Zamora - who never really looked like he enjoyed playing the game and seemed to give off the aura of being pissed off to be getting kept from his DJing (which I remember Super Ray (RIP) making disapproving reference to, while, apparently, being too nice to do anything much about it).

Great strike, though.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:24 am

I notice there were a few references to swearing earlier in the thread.

so long as it's limited the bog standard stuff I can understand it's occasional use. Outside of that if your going to swear all the time, whats the bloody point?

I say this on the basis that whilst it's not maybe a football related matter - and arguably a more social/psychological ( what do I know ) type of issue it's quite noticeable on other notice boards.

I have a work colleague who supports Stoke - God knows why - and most of the message boards links he sends me they struggle to put 2 sentences together without hard dogs abuse of other posters or other teams. Generally speaking the quality of debate and comment on here is what keeps me returning and common banter with fellow Rrrrr's suits me fine. Keep it away from politics and religion and whats not to like?

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:59 pm

I was living nearby in Droitwich Spa
I have been certain up to now that I was the only QPR fan who has ever lived in Droitwich Spa... White Duck, you can't possibly be a native because I don't think you would have used the 'Spa' bit if you were...

That brings to mind another non Loftus Rd memory, when my dad took me from Droitwich to St Andrews on New Years Day 1980, to see Clive Allen score the opening goal against Birmingham. We were the last people through the turnstile before they turned the key on a full house, and so had to sit plum in the middle of the home end behind the goal, from where I soon realised I was the only person celebrating a typical bit of Allen poaching.

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Favourite Loftus Rd Moment.

How do you choose ?

Maybe any game my dad took me too as a kid. you can never take those memories back. So if i had to pick one it would be 5-5 Newcastle, we were sitting in his local working men's club in Chiswick at about 2pm, i was 11 not sure if i wanted to go. He dragged me along and after half time we wondered should we have stayed in the club. The rest is history.

Also having been back in the UK a few weeks ago i achieved a thing on my bucket list and took my boy to his first game at HQ V Norwich, that look in his eye was magic.

Shame we are back in OZ now though, not sure when we will go back again. But to hear him say i wish we lived here so i could come to every game. Magic.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:15 am

Greyhound wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:59 pm
I was living nearby in Droitwich Spa
I have been certain up to now that I was the only QPR fan who has ever lived in Droitwich Spa... White Duck, you can't possibly be a native because I don't think you would have used the 'Spa' bit if you were...
Haha I included the 'Spa' bit as it sounded a bit more posh! No I moved up there as my girlfriend was from there (Bromsgrove). Not a bad area really: was handy for QPR's Midland away games!
Lex Talionis........

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Some great posts and memories here.

Home game against Hull in 1969 my first ever visit to Loftus Road. I just remember being awestruck by the size and intense colour of the green pitch and waiting for Rodney to appear.

Boxing Day 1974 home to Leicester City. A crisp windy day I think we won 4-2 but the two really flattered Leicester. Second half kicking towards The Loft with the wind behind him Phil Parkes was trying to score with his goal kicks. The crowd cheering him on, a great Christmas atmosphere. Fourth or fifth attempt Phil did score but the goal was ruled out for offside.

1975 Cup replay against Southend who came for another draw. One of their players was down for ages making the most of his 'injury' so I shouted ''Come on Stan!'' Stan looked at me gave the thumbs up and then pointed at the referee and gave a long wanker gesture which had the crowd roaring with laughter. Stan shouted something but I couldn't hear what he said. We went one up and I gave Stan the thumbs up but he gave me the downturned hands calm down gesture. After going 2-0 up Stan gave me the thumbs up and another wanker gesture to the referee! I was only 15 at the time and obviously thrilled with my interaction with Stanley.

1979 and a game on a lovely summers evening at Loftus Road. Brian Williams in midfield was having an awful game for us, couldn't do anything right and the crowd were beginning to turn on him. Eventually he was substituted and the crowd cheered as if we had scored and poor Brian trudged off the pitch head down, shoulders almost touching the grass, never seen anything like it before and I just remember feeling for the guy.

Liverpool in 1979 I think, close game until an awful back pass from the hapless Ernie Howe gifted Liverpool a goal. The chap sitting next to us stood up and ranted at Ernie for a full two minutes starting with ''Howe you cretin!'' It was hilarious.

1981 evening game against Crystal Palace. The weather was atrocious, rain hammering down, the pitch far more mud than grass, puddles everywhere, I think we were losing too. An attempted pass to the recently returned Gerry Francis stuck in the mud and a Palace player hoofed it away. Gerry took his shirt off, wrung it out and threw it to the ground.

Cambridge in the early 80's, small crowd. The ball went out by the corner flag for a goal kick to them and a chap came out of The Ellerslie Road stand and kicked the ball back to their keeper. He absolutely leathered the ball and it caught the keeper in the family jewels and he went down in agony. Crowd were roaring with laughter until the stewards grabbed the guy and ejected him from the ground.

Evening game against Luton Town in 1981 and our first game on the new plastic pitch. We played a normal game whilst Luton played the ball around quickly to feet and went away with a thoroughly deserved 1-2 win.

Norwich 1990. Dour game with Norwich obviously wanting a point but they caught us on the break and took the lead. It was all us after that but Norwich wasted time, players going down with injuries, taking forever with goal kicks, the crowd were getting really wound up. With a couple of minutes to go Mark Falco finally equalised for us. The crowd went wild including me and I let out a string of expletives Norwich's way. As the crowd continued cheering I looked down and there was a young lad staring up at me completely shocked at what he had just heard.

Southampton early 90's I was standing in the Paddock near The Loft. Southampton player runs with the ball towards the box and Ray Wilkins offers no challenge at all arms outstretched not wanting to concede a free kick. Southampton player takes a shot which hits the post and goes out for a goal kick. Spur of the moment I shout ''You could have done better there Wilkins!'' I watched our keeper retrieve the ball, place it for the goal kick, I turned around to look upfield and Wilkins is just standing there glaring at me. Embarrassed or what!

2011 and the 2-3 defeat to Manchester City, a great great game of football.

Very favourite moments would be feeling The South Africa Road stand move beneath my feet!