New stadium & training ground

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Post Reply
User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

New stadium & training ground

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:38 am

What is going on?

We announced about five years ago our intention to build a new stadium and about four years ago that we were looking at new training facilities. We remain without either, as problems, snags and roadblocks have seemingly stopped us in our tracks. With regard to the training facility it was announced that all appeals had been turned down, and only an appeal on a point of law would be considered. That was months ago ... so what is happening?

In respect of the stadium, I think we probably lost out on the Old Oak Common site for pissing off Car Giant a few years ago, and also by making bold statements before anything had been agreed. Linford Christie looks a better bet ... the council are (like all councils) strapped for cash, and this is a drain on their resources. Why can't we get a deal done? It would be ideal for all parties surely.

With regard to the athletics club who will be made homeless - there is an obvious answer. Let them move to Loftus Road. Demolish the Ellerslie Road stand (the residents whose gardens back onto the stand would be delighted. Knock down one end, and hey presto! You have enough room for an athletics stadium. It has been said many times there is a covenant on our ground which would prevent houses being built there - this solves that problem.

London is not an easy place to develop a new stadium, finding a site, costs etc all present challenges. My frustration is seeing Arsenal, Spurs, Millwall and even Brentford announce "we need to move", and work starts pretty much straight away. Objections are raised and swatted away in a timely and easy manner.

Why, if they found it so easy, are we still struggling to make any progress?
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20608
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am

Do a bit of research on Spurs stadium renovations. They began back in 2001 and still haven't finished... and theirs is only a slight relocation. It would be nice for the club to release some info on Warren Farm; are they undergoing eco studies etc. before breaking ground?
For stadium news it is worth joining this FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/StayInW12/
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12852
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by dm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Here's the latest on the training ground, QPR’s Warren Farm battle could be resolved within weeks – or late next year: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr ... -next-year

The comment "Judicial-review verdicts are very rarely overturned after the Court of Appeal stage, and bringing a legal challenge this far involves significant cost" again begs the question, who is funding this action against QPR?

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20608
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:23 pm
Here's the latest on the training ground, QPR’s Warren Farm battle could be resolved within weeks – or late next year: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr ... -next-year

The comment "Judicial-review verdicts are very rarely overturned after the Court of Appeal stage, and bringing a legal challenge this far involves significant cost" again begs the question, who is funding this action against QPR?
Sultan of Brunei?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12852
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by dm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 pm
dm wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:23 pm
Here's the latest on the training ground, QPR’s Warren Farm battle could be resolved within weeks – or late next year: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr ... -next-year

The comment "Judicial-review verdicts are very rarely overturned after the Court of Appeal stage, and bringing a legal challenge this far involves significant cost" again begs the question, who is funding this action against QPR?
Sultan of Brunei?
Yet another to add to the long list of QPR haters?

User avatar
SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 15777
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:35 pm
Location: Isle of Wight
Contact:

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by SM » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:36 am

dm wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:23 pm
The comment "Judicial-review verdicts are very rarely overturned after the Court of Appeal stage, and bringing a legal challenge this far involves significant cost" again begs the question, who is funding this action against QPR?
Some of the local residents have fairly deep pockets. I know that one of the main objectors is a Brentford ST holder.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12852
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by dm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:02 am

SM wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:36 am
dm wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:23 pm
The comment "Judicial-review verdicts are very rarely overturned after the Court of Appeal stage, and bringing a legal challenge this far involves significant cost" again begs the question, who is funding this action against QPR?
Some of the local residents have fairly deep pockets. I know that one of the main objectors is a Brentford ST holder.
And the rumour has been that it's Brentford supporters behind this. It would be of great interest if this were the case and I rather fancy one way or another we'll find out once the case is resolved.

User avatar
willesdenr
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2149
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by willesdenr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:37 pm

There's a link below the article so might be putting two and two together, but don't suppose it has anything do with Southall FC and its owner, Channa Singh Gill? He also put in a bid for Warren Farm on the basis that his plans for a new stadium would be better for the community than ours. I notice that Southall FC has a tie-up with Atletico Madrid who want to expand in the Indian football market. So it might be other local Indian business owners are also footing the bill. Are there any rich enough Brentford owners who are willing to lose thousands just to want to sh1t on our parade?

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by 222gers » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:17 pm

How big is the Linford Christie site ? I remember people saying there would be sufficient space for a new athletics faciity next to the proposed football ground. Could a training ground be incorporated ?

All that said, the LCS seems as far off as ever.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8900
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:25 pm

222gers wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:17 pm
How big is the Linford Christie site ? I remember people saying there would be sufficient space for a new athletics faciity next to the proposed football ground. Could a training ground be incorporated ?

All that said, the LCS seems as far off as ever.
I'm sure I read somewhere it is approximately four times the size of our current ground (comparing the size of the footprints). Any training facility on the LC site would be small, and offer less than our current training ground, and a lot less than Warren Farm. It would also restrict what we could potentially do with any new stadium by reducing the available space.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 10342
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: New stadium & training ground

Post by Damien » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Middlesex County Cricket Club are also putting out feelers as regards the LC site for a new ground, as they are fed up losing revenue to the MCC at Lords. Read it on "Middlesex, till we die" site. It was mentioned at the end of season Forum apparently.

Post Reply