Ollie

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Post Reply
old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3405
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Ollie

Post by old pauline » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Anyone listen to the commentary of Wolves 1 Burnley 0 on 5 Live this afternoon ?

Ollie was the co-commentator.

It was compulsive listening. His knowledge of Wolves and how they won the Championship was very very insightful and he was absolutely spot on about the job ahead of Dyche too.

From what I heard I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a job with a bottom three club soon. He was very lucid and nailonhead
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4073
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Wormwood Scrubbs

Re: Ollie

Post by Stans left foot » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am

Yes, I can imagine he'd find management work - if he wants it?

The commentating /expert review role is OK I guess but it doesn't pay all the bills, I read that Kevin Beattie's BBC reviewers job paid £75.00 a match. I guess it's only when you hook up into TV work the money comes in.

He'll make a good manager for someone, and then of course, rock up at Loftus Road and turn us over......
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9698
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Ollie

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am

As Gary Neville famously found out, it's one thing to talk "expertly" about the game, but quite another to put that expertise into practice.

I don't know if he's looking for a job, but I'll be interested to see what he does next.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3522
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Ollie

Post by Satch » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:16 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am
As Gary Neville famously found out, it's one thing to talk "expertly" about the game, but quite another to put that expertise into practice.

I don't know if he's looking for a job, but I'll be interested to see what he does next.
Especially with a team of researchers at your disposal.

I think Holloway would be best served sticking with the media work. Truthfully, i think that's his passion these days. Management seems to take it's toll on his mental well being these days.

User avatar
Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5154
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: Ollie

Post by Systemsguy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am

Truly deserves to be a legend as a player and a manager of this club...

Still don't like the way we shafted him at the end of last season and tried some BS explanation for his leaving... My only grumble about it as players and managers come and go all the time, only the fans stay the same....

We will never know how well or not his continuation as manager would have been this season...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Image

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Ollie

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am
Truly deserves to be a legend as a player and a manager of this club...

Still don't like the way we shafted him at the end of last season and tried some BS explanation for his leaving... My only grumble about it as players and managers come and go all the time, only the fans stay the same....

We will never know how well or not his continuation as manager would have been this season...
Agree with that, Mr Systems. Unfortunately, we as a club have a bit of form with this kind of thing - Warnock's dismissal being a case in point. Sadly, a lot of professional football 'clubs' don't even operate with the decency and ethics of (good) businesses. Another bit of bullshit that sticks to my tits is the 'family club' schtick of our outgoing chairman. (Mind you, Freud viewed the nuclear family as a pathomythological battleground.)

PS If anyone wants to get a classic re-education in the inextricability of the bullshit element from modern life, check out the late great US comic George Carlin on YouTube.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8886
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Ollie

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:15 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am
Systemsguy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am
Truly deserves to be a legend as a player and a manager of this club...

Still don't like the way we shafted him at the end of last season and tried some BS explanation for his leaving... My only grumble about it as players and managers come and go all the time, only the fans stay the same....

We will never know how well or not his continuation as manager would have been this season...
Agree with that, Mr Systems. Unfortunately, we as a club have a bit of form with this kind of thing - Warnock's dismissal being a case in point. Sadly, a lot of professional football 'clubs' don't even operate with the decency and ethics of (good) businesses. Another bit of bullshit that sticks to my tits is the 'family club' schtick of our outgoing chairman. (Mind you, Freud viewed the nuclear family as a pathomythological battleground.)

PS If anyone wants to get a classic re-education in the inextricability of the bullshit element from modern life, check out the late great US comic George Carlin on YouTube.
Looking at it from another point of view:

We don't know what was said behind closed doors, or who did what, so this is all conjecture on your part. As for Olly, look back over the historical posts on this message board and see what people were saying when we lost 6 games in a row, got stuffed at Forest and Hull ... in fact anytime we lost on his watch (and we lost a few). Maybe he was dismissed because the people in charge didn't have faith in his ability to go to the next level, a view expressed by many QPR fans on this very forum when Olly was in charge.

As for Warnock. He is a brilliant Championship manager, but just doesn't cut it in the Premiership. Look where Cardiff are now. Sheffield United, QPR, Palace and now Cardiff - the feeling is he's out of his depth. In those circumstances it is not difficult to understand why the club moved to replace him with Mark Hughes.

The fact Hughes was an unmitigated disaster is another matter. But then again,isn't hindsight wonderful.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Ollie

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 pm

It was, and is, very contestable as to whether the club was justified in removing Ollie and/or Warnock when they did so I won't rake over all the old ground, but the main thrust of my post was that the way they did it in both cases, irrespective of one's views on the warrant for either, conspicuously lacked style, respect and basic business decorum. If the club didn't think that Ollie was cut out to fulfil the requirements, rather obviously they shouldn't have awarded him the 2.5 year contract they did, sack him a year before he'd finished it, and thus incur a compensation outlay (which is, as with everything spent by the club, at least partly financed by the fans).

For the sake of balance, it is starting to look as if the new manager may be able to steady the ship after all, and perhaps even improve us going forwards, but I'm still not sure Ollie couldn't/wouldn't have done at least as well, brought in the new recruits himself, and probably not suffered the humiliation we did at WBA along the way.

In the words of The Shop Assistants, 'guess I'll (we'll) never know . . .'
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8886
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Ollie

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 pm
It was, and is, very contestable as to whether the club was justified in removing Ollie and/or Warnock when they did so I won't rake over all the old ground, but the main thrust of my post was that the way they did it in both cases, irrespective of one's views on the warrant for either, conspicuously lacked style, respect and basic business decorum. If the club didn't think that Ollie was cut out to fulfil the requirements, rather obviously they shouldn't have awarded him the 2.5 year contract they did, sack him a year before he'd finished it, and thus incur a compensation outlay (which is, as with everything spent by the club, at least partly financed by the fans).

For the sake of balance, it is starting to look as if the new manager may be able to steady the ship after all, and perhaps even improve us going forwards, but I'm still not sure Ollie couldn't/wouldn't have done at least as well, brought in the new recruits himself, and probably not suffered the humiliation we did at WBA along the way.

In the words of The Shop Assistants, 'guess I'll (we'll) never know . . .'
And how many football managers ever make it to the end of their contract? This is just a factor of how it is in the world of professional football. QPR are no different from any other club in the football league in that respect.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Post Reply