Highlights

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Highlights

Post by Giorgio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 am
I wasn't at the game but the mention of time wasting resonates with me.
..the last 20 minutes were really outrageous....I don't know if really more than 5 were played.....faking injures, delaying throw ins,
keeper taking ages to get the ball, then putting on the opposite side of the goal box and having a nice long concentration before
executing the kick...Shefs non even taking the corners kicks, not even one player in the box, but staying near the flag ...
really..is that football...? :roll: :roll:

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 pm
222gers wrote:
..the last 20 minutes were really outrageous....I don't know if really more than 5 were played.....faking injures, delaying throw ins,
keeper taking ages to get the ball, then putting on the opposite side of the goal box and having a nice long concentration before
executing the kick...Shefs non even taking the corners kicks, not even one player in the box, but staying near the flag ...
"then putting on the opposite side of the goal box "

Perfectly legal. Was and still is a perfect example of the football authorities not understanding the game or those that play it when the law was changed

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Giorgio wrote:
222gers wrote:
Now here's a thing....if QPR were to employ exactly the same "tactics" in exactly the same situation, would that be equally "really outrageous"? My guess, and flying a bit of a kite here, that the answer would be an emphatic NO!
And would you also really question whether it was football to do the same thing as SUFC when QPR are in the same scenario...again I guess the answer would be NO. Come on lets have a bit of equal standards here, and accept why the opponents time waste, ball to the corner flag, etc etc....I know its frustrating when Rangers are on the end of it, but the fact is, that is good game management so no use bleating about it! One day soon you will be shouting for Rangers to do exactly the same when defending a slender lead in the last few minutes....wont you? 8)

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm

krama wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 pm
Giorgio wrote:
222gers wrote:
Now here's a thing....if QPR were to employ exactly the same "tactics" in exactly the same situation, would that be equally "really outrageous"? My guess, and flying a bit of a kite here, that the answer would be an emphatic NO!
And would you also really question whether it was football to do the same thing as SUFC when QPR are in the same scenario...again I guess the answer would be NO. Come on lets have a bit of equal standards here, and accept why the opponents time waste, ball to the corner flag, etc etc....I know its frustrating when Rangers are on the end of it, but the fact is, that is good game management so no use bleating about it! One day soon you will be shouting for Rangers to do exactly the same when defending a slender lead in the last few minutes....wont you? 8)
Can't say I agree. We need less not more teams employing these underhand tactics. I want to be proud of my team. Clubs like SheffU and Preston probably spend a great deal of time thinking up new wheezes to con the ref, degrade football as a spectacle and sport, and win matches at all costs. It's getting worse and the refs, backed up by the FA must crack down.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm

krama wrote:

Now here's a thing....if QPR were to employ exactly the same "tactics" in exactly the same situation, would that be equally "really outrageous"?
no use bleating about it! One day soon you will be shouting for Rangers to do exactly the same when defending a slender lead in the last few minutes....wont you? 8)
...it would be, in my opinion....
one thing is "wasting time" keeping possession of the ball, passing it around and still playing...making the clock run...
another thing is using these dirty tactics, not playing the ball at all.....

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:22 pm

Sorry don't believe for one minute you'd not want QPR to ANYTHING it takes to hang on to three points in a tight last few mins of a game....what would it be then, cmon Rangers keep playing nice football right to the end, keep attacking and entertain me. When that scenario occurs which it will this season, come back on this thread and admit you did not want the team shut up shop to hang on in the last mins.

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:30 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm
krama wrote:
Giorgio wrote:

Can't say I agree. We need less not more teams employing these underhand tactics. I want to be proud of my team. Clubs like SheffU and Preston probably spend a great deal of time thinking up new wheezes to con the ref, degrade football as a spectacle and sport, and win matches at all costs. It's getting worse and the refs, backed up by the FA must crack down.
Until its against the rules, its good game management who ever you support. These tactics used by Preston and SUFC happened to result in a loss. ..no wonder people are up in arms at this perfectly legal game management...I repeat, wait until the boots on the other foot and if you are honest you will want rangers to do anything it takes to hold on. You know I am right! :wink:

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 pm

krama wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:22 pm
Sorry don't believe for one minute you'd not want QPR to ANYTHING it takes to hang on to three points in a tight last few mins of a game....what would it be then, cmon Rangers keep playing nice football right to the end, keep attacking and entertain me. When that scenario occurs which it will this season, come back on this thread and admit you did not want the team shut up shop to hang on in the last mins.
...not playing that sort of farce, falling down and rolling on the ground every 30 seconds....faking injuries

Were you at the match..? cos even that idiot ref should have got that all those were fakes....and he did nothing to stop that...
not even a yellow for time wasting...and at the end he gave 5 mins added time..it should have been 15

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 pm

krama wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:30 pm
222gers wrote:
krama wrote:

Until its against the rules, its good game management who ever you support. These tactics used by Preston and SUFC happened to result in a loss. ..no wonder people are up in arms at this perfectly legal game management...I repeat, wait until the boots on the other foot and if you are honest you will want rangers to do anything it takes to hold on. You know I am right! :wink:
Hmm......there may not be specific mention in the laws of the game regarding the antics of these teams, but I believe refs can book or even send players off for unsporting conduct.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 pm

krama wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:22 pm
Last few minutes of the game, maybe. Utd were f*ck*ng about from at least the 70th minute on - there is a difference
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 pm

This is the Championship. This isn't about the skills and free-flowing play in the top half of the Premier League. No-one (or very few) are watching extended views of the Championship games on the TV, no-one is commentating in detail on each game.

The best teams in this division play good football and have a lot of money behind them.

And then there are those who know how to grind out the points. They will probably have a good number of very large journeyman players. And they know no-one is going to penalise them if, once level or ahead, they fall over, hold their heads for no real reason, take a week to take a throw. They are the ones with a decent enough chance of getting pretty close to the play offs.

And then there is QPR. Decent young, smallish blokes trying to play a good game.
Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:04 am

krama wrote:
222gers wrote:
krama wrote:

You are of course right up to a point about the hypocrisy of fans complaining when the opposition do these things and being perfectly happy when their own team does the same. There's nothing to stop players taking the ball towards the corner flag to run down the clock, and it's hard to see how you could regulate against that, or indeed whether you should try.

However, the nonsense with changing the side a goal kick is taking from is very easily remedied by reverting to the original rule that it should be from whichever side the ball went out of play in the first place. Any further time-wasting around goal kicks is already punishable with a yellow card, although too rarely enforced.

The rule around head injuries twas brought in to protect players, but is being very obviously abused, such that players know all they need to do to get the game stopped is to go down holding their heads. Referees need to start to being stronger and playing on unless they have good reason to believe there's a genuine injury. Perhaps then we'll see at least a reduction in this kind of gamesmanship, although expecting a return to Corinthian values may have to be put on hold for a while yet.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:04 am
krama wrote:
222gers wrote:

You are of course right up to a point about the hypocrisy of fans complaining when the opposition do these things and being perfectly happy when their own team does the same. There's nothing to stop players taking the ball towards the corner flag to run down the clock, and it's hard to see how you could regulate against that, or indeed whether you should try.

However, the nonsense with changing the side a goal kick is taking from is very easily remedied by reverting to the original rule that it should be from whichever side the ball went out of play in the first place. Any further time-wasting around goal kicks is already punishable with a yellow card, although too rarely enforced.

The rule around head injuries twas brought in to protect players, but is being very obviously abused, such that players know all they need to do to get the game stopped is to go down holding their heads. Referees need to start to being stronger and playing on unless they have good reason to believe there's a genuine injury. Perhaps then we'll see at least a reduction in this kind of gamesmanship, although expecting a return to Corinthian values may have to be put on hold for a while yet.
I wonder why this rule allowing keepers to take a goal kick from either side was introduced ? The only thing I can think of is so that the keeper can take the kick on his “stronger” foot.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 am

222gers wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 am
I wonder why this rule allowing keepers to take a goal kick from either side was introduced ? The only thing I can think of is so that the keeper can take the kick on his “stronger” foot.
in the past the kick had to be taken from the side the ball had gone out....I think they should reinstate it as the keepers are taking
too much advantage on that to waste time....and honestly there is enough space to kick the ball using whatever foot is the favourite....

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:22 am

Another change I'd like to see is for players to be penalised if they pick up or otherwise interfere with the ball after a decision goes against their team e.g. holding on to the ball and running backwards for 15 yards after the award of a free kick and then throwing it up in the air in the general direction of the man waiting for the ball - and is it no longer an offence to stand in front of the kicker preventing the kick until your team mates are all set up?

Someone also suggested that players going down with a "head injury" be required to leave the field for a period of time afterwards to make sure they are OK, which seems like an excellent suggestion. Players will no doubt go down clutching some other part of their body, but the imperative on the ref to stop the game will not be the same and he can wait for a natural break to blow up.
Last edited by Bear-Grills on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question