Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Sheffield United

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Sheffield United

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 am

222gers wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:29 am
dm wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:59 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:39 am

Funny you should say that; during the long chat with Lee Hoos yesterday I mentioned that I thought the West London Shooting School/C&L Country Club off West End Road would be a perfect home for both the Stadium and the training ground. It would need a dedicated road to the M40 from Sharvel Lane but it has very little residential property near it, enough room to have the hotel, retail area and a couple of pubs built next to them and plenty of car parking space. As it is in the QPR heartland it should actually be a lot more convenient to get to games than it currently is. He seemed quite interested and asked me several questions about the area. Maybe it would only be used for ammo against the council so QPR can stay in the borough but I think he will be at least taking a cursory look at the site.
That site is almost 10 miles west of Loftus road and a 30 minute walk from the nearest tube station. How could it possibly be the perfect home for the stadium?
Many Bush-dwelling Rangers fans moved out of the area over the years in favour of the western extremities of the London area, so the area would be convenient. A pretty desperate area for pubs and shops though. I still favour LCS.
As I mentioned in my response to dm, you're only 15 mins from South Ruislip which has pubs and shops, so no different to going to Westfields or anywhere else on the Green for pre match conviviality... or the C&S before a game.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 am
dm wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

Funny you should say that; during the long chat with Lee Hoos yesterday I mentioned that I thought the West London Shooting School/C&L Country Club off West End Road would be a perfect home for both the Stadium and the training ground. It would need a dedicated road to the M40 from Sharvel Lane but it has very little residential property near it, enough room to have the hotel, retail area and a couple of pubs built next to them and plenty of car parking space. As it is in the QPR heartland it should actually be a lot more convenient to get to games than it currently is. He seemed quite interested and asked me several questions about the area. Maybe it would only be used for ammo against the council so QPR can stay in the borough but I think he will be at least taking a cursory look at the site.
That site is almost 10 miles west of Loftus road and a 30 minute walk from the nearest tube station. How could it possibly be the perfect home for the stadium?
It's less than a mile away, a 15 minute walk, from South Ruislip Station, not much different from arriving at any of the Shepherds Bush stations. It's also only 8.4 miles from Loftus Road, and, as I mentioned, in QPR heartland.
Yes, it's a QPR heartland but, being far less serviced by public transport than Loftus Road, it's remote for a great many fans. South Ruislip is more like 30 minutes walk away.

Sadly, we may be forced to move away from the Bush. If we are I would hope it would be to a site more accessible than this one.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:17 am

Would be interesting to find out how many grounds are as well served for public transport as Loftus Road. As I come in by car from Reading it is not for me to argue about pubs, walking or public transport but wherever we end up we need to move.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 am

QPR_John wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:17 am
Would be interesting to find out how many grounds are as well served for public transport as Loftus Road. As I come in by car from Reading it is not for me to argue about pubs, walking or public transport but wherever we end up we need to move.
Rangers must be one of the best served grounds for Public transport with numerous buses and tubes especially if you include the ones a little further afield like Hammersmith and Ravenscourt Park where I alight. ( wonderful word alight, used only by London Transport. )
I reluctantly agree though that we absolutely have to move to a bigger and better ground.
Fingers firmly crossed for LCS.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:41 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Damien wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 pm
dm wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Perhaps this explains the release of the 'Secure R Future' document?
Time to tell H&F to do one and look for a more sympathetic council. They only care about Chelski and Fulham. EL has mentioned before the M4 M40 corridor, and this is the route the club should be going down, instead of wasting time on OOC and Scrubs. If we don't move we are finished as regards ever gaining our former status.
Keep us posted on this one. Interesting development.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 am

222gers wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:29 am
dm wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

Many Bush-dwelling Rangers fans moved out of the area over the years in favour of the western extremities of the London area, so the area would be convenient. A pretty desperate area for pubs and shops though. I still favour LCS.
In an ideal world I would prefer LCS as well. Went to school and spent a lot of my life around the area, but the clock is ticking for our club and we need to look at all options.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56 am

Thing is, despite being so well served by public transport, we have failed to grow as a club. We have been left behind by our neighbours in H & F and have in all probability missed the boat. It will be very sad to leave our home after so many decades... but London has changed beyond recognition from the place I grew up in. I don't really like modern football if I'm brutally honest - but I want QPR to survive and thrive no matter what it takes. They are the only thing that matters to me in football and to a lesser extent life in general.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:55 am

Damien wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56 am
Thing is, despite being so well served by public transport, we have failed to grow as a club. We have been left behind by our neighbours in H & F and have in all probability missed the boat. It will be very sad to leave our home after so many decades... but London has changed beyond recognition from the place I grew up in. I don't really like modern football if I'm brutally honest - but I want QPR to survive and thrive no matter what it takes. They are the only thing that matters to me in football and to a lesser extent life in general.
I agree with your comments about modern football. People say the modern game is light years ahead in terms of technique and fitness, but the time wasting, diving, feigning injury, ref baiting and “game management” leave me cold. Add to that the lack of characters in the game, I find it hard to summon up the blood these days. I've been attending for too long to just pack up, but it's getting harder every season.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:06 am

222gers wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:55 am
Damien wrote:
I agree with your comments about modern football. People say the modern game is light years ahead in terms of technique and fitness, but the time wasting, diving, feigning injury, ref baiting and “game management” leave me cold. Add to that the lack of characters in the game, I find it hard to summon up the blood these days. I've been attending for too long to just pack up, but it's getting harder every season.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:33 am

222gers wrote:
Damien wrote:
I think many of us feel the same. I certainly do. For me, the match itself is only part of why I go. Seeing friends, sharing banter and being part of the club are very often the more enjoyable parts of being a football supporter.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 am

Drilled in from a young age now I'm afraid - all about gaining a competitive edge - my lad is going into under 11s and I help with the coaching.

You would be surprised by the "qualified" coaches on other teams - how they behave and encourage players in terms of gaining that edge ....

Our lads still own up if the ball comes off them for a corner and throw in and I won't change that- encourage the lads to compete and work hard within the rules.

FA Four Corners of Football? Got more square points on my backside!

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:42 am

dm wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 am
dm wrote:

It's less than a mile away, a 15 minute walk, from South Ruislip Station, not much different from arriving at any of the Shepherds Bush stations. It's also only 8.4 miles from Loftus Road, and, as I mentioned, in QPR heartland.
Yes, it's a QPR heartland but, being far less serviced by public transport than Loftus Road, it's remote for a great many fans. South Ruislip is more like 30 minutes walk away.

Sadly, we may be forced to move away from the Bush. If we are I would hope it would be to a site more accessible than this one.
It is 0.9 of a mile away on a walking route, not as the crow flies, so 15 mins should be comfortable for anyone without a disability.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:51 am

dm wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:33 am
222gers wrote:
Damien wrote:
I think many of us feel the same. I certainly do. For me, the match itself is only part of why I go. Seeing friends, sharing banter and being part of the club are very often the more enjoyable parts of being a football supporter.
So much this. I arrived around 12 yesterday and by the time I left to go home at 7 O'Clock I had spent a decent amount of time talking to over 40 fans who I would consider as my QPR friends and family, funnily enough, I didn't manage to catch up with Vic Stephenson or Colin Clarke which is normally almost impossible :lol: I got to say goodbye to Ariel Freelander (many may remember her as the clubs official photographer years ago) who is off to go and live in Italy now :( Some of these fans got me through a rough time when my daughter in law died and I know I can rely on them, and I for them, when needed. Results, teams, managers are an ephemeral part of supporting QPR and maybe that is why I don't get so bent out of shape like some do when a result goes against us. AFAIAC if we lost every game and got relegated I would still go as, for me anyway, following QPR is more than going to see a game of football.

W12Allstars
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by W12Allstars » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:55 am

Doubt many would disagree. Winning is a nice feeling though.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, than to dwell in the twighlight that knows neither victory nor defeat - T Roosevelt

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 am

Just read the post match analysis of Arsenal's match v City and it seems the problems they have are similar to ours, that being trying to get the squad working to a new system. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45138012

If the expensive stars of a top Premier club struggles to change their game in one pre season, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised bargain basement QPR does too.