Preston ale recommendations

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:57 am

My stock beer is London Pride. I can get that here in South Africa. Occasionally I come across Innes & Gunn which is palatable enough.

I miss Old Thumper, Doom Bar and to a lesser extent HSB.

I've no idea what has happened with real ale in the last 10 years as I've rarely been back. Anyone recommend any new high %, low hop taste, beer I can try when I'm back in December?
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:27 am

The last ten years has seen an explosion in the amount of new, small breweries. The London ones tend to be “hipster” beers - powerfully hopped and citrusy. I prefer more balanced ales myself. If you go into a Fullers pub for the London Pride you mentioned, you may find they have Dark Star Hophead which is delightful. Fullers tookover Dark Star earlier this year.

There are so many ales available these days, it's great fun sampling them all. Happy beer hunting !

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Hophead is a wonderful summer beer but, for me, not so much in winter.

The hipster beers 222gers mentions are mainly IPAs, and there are loads of them. However, after a while, you do get a bit tired of the taste of grapefruit.

Doombar is sadly not what it was before Coors acquired the Sharps brewery. I never drink it now.

If you like high percentage beers you'll probably enjoy sampling some of Brewdogs over strength ales which are served in third pint glasses. The few I've tried have ranged from quite nice to quite bizarre!

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 am

Hophead is still a great beer. Not quite as good as it was four or five years ago, but then DS replaced the head brewer. Now it's effectively a Fuller's beer, we'll have to see if it changes much. I would hope not as Fuller's often have the sense to leave well alone.

On the other hand, when Fuller's do change things, they do it quite well. Like when they changed how they brew London Pride or moved the production of HSB to Chiswick.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 am

Don wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 am
Hophead is still a great beer. Not quite as good as it was four or five years ago, but then DS replaced the head brewer. Now it's effectively a Fuller's beer, we'll have to see if it changes much. I would hope not as Fuller's often have the sense to leave well alone.

On the other hand, when Fuller's do change things, they do it quite well. Like when they changed how they brew London Pride or moved the production of HSB to Chiswick.
One criticism of Fullers is that two of their Gold Medal winning beers - Chiswick and ESB have all but disappeared in favour of rubbish like Oliver's Island and some other grapefruit tasting beers.
Chiswick was relegated to a seasonal beer last year and has disappeared altogether now. The mighty ESB is only available in certain pubs and to my mind isn't as good as it used to be.