Uncle Tony 2 part nterview....

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Uncle Tony 2 part nterview....

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 am

What's that all about?

Finally TF explains the reasons for SM appointment....

It's done.... The dust has settled and surely it's time to let SM and the team do their talking on the pitch...

Why the need?

or does he just love the sound of his own voice?
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Uncle Tony 2 part nterview....

Post by Rbee » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:18 am

A few months late isn’t it.

I enjoyed watching Schteve’s Norman Wisdom impersonation though.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Wasn't aware this was out.

Part 1 Interview - Talks about the Schteve appt, future of the club, developing players

Part 2 Interview - Talks about FFP, New Stadium/Training Ground, transfer policy.

Ton-e does talk a lot of sense and I genuinely believe the training ground and new stadium have been out of the clubs control. As much as I love the idea of developing youngsters and bringing them through the ranks into the first team, I don't feel we fully have the depth to be able to do so at present. There are definitely some talented kids, but I think we're a long way off fielding a team mostly comprised of young players.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Well, at least we have a reason now. Seems a bizarre footballing decision from my perspective, though I know others will disagree.

Given that a lot of ppl disagreed with the decision (unlike most of the other recent sacking that on the whole seemed necessary), it’ll be squarely at the hierarchy’s door if this goes wrong.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:59 pm

It was interesting he insinuated Lee and Les in particular were pivotal in removing Olly.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:49 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:59 pm
It was interesting he insinuated Lee and Les in particular were pivotal in removing Olly.
Stainrod's going to love that

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Whats did he say was the reason why Ollie was released please anyone ?
Come on you Sooopa ........

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Ollie loved the club, did a job etc but “... i just felt, along with the other owners, shareholders and management, Lee (Hoos) and Les (Ferdinand) particularly, that we needed to move a little bit further forward in some areas."

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:32 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 pm
Ollie loved the club, did a job etc but “... i just felt, along with the other owners, shareholders and management, Lee (Hoos) and Les (Ferdinand) particularly, that we needed to move a little bit further forward in some areas."
There will always be the argument for stability but i don't disagree tbh. The bigger debate will be if SMC is that person.

I suspect the areas, in particular, are around the coaching and bringing through of youth players.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 am
What's that all about?

It's done.... The dust has settled and surely it's time to let SM and the team do their talking on the pitch...

Why the need?

What 'reasons'? He just said everyone else at the club (who aren't managers, but just hire and fire them every year or two on our behalf) felt the club needed to go forward in certain areas, without even saying what that means, or why Ollie wasn't the man with the momentum. Since he also tells us IH had done a great job, essentially the man got fired for, uh, doing a great job. Go figure!

The thing with Tony is that he talks a great game, and comes over as sincere/passionate/heartfelt and all the rest, but, for me, he is incredibly short on detail and/or cloudy and vague about just about anything at the club - especially the new stadium, the training ground, and why people like Hughes, Harry, Neil and Ollie are the perfect men for the club one minute and in need of P45s the next. For someone who loves continuity, as says he does, he has a really peculiar way of showing it - we've had eight managers in eight years, for Pete's sake! To quote a Tears for Fears track, 'wake me up when things get started!'

To me, in a nutshell, he's like a lovable uncle who brings sweets in his pockets, but will always let you down when he promises to take you to the fair.

Mind you, I am 50!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:25 pm

I haven't listened to it and have no intention of doing so....

The mejah blurb for the interview was TF explaining the reasons behind SM's appointment....

I'm led to believe his interview with the unofficial podcast just before the end of the season was the "cat out of the bag" moment when he started discussing our "next manager" after Ollie...

Me?

When the club turns over a spade of earth at Warren Farm, I'll be interested listening to Uncle Tony again...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:53 am

It's almost like you blame him for the Warren Farm protesters :roll: Do you honestly think that he wouldn't have it already built if it wasn't for the legal protests slowing the project to a virtual halt?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:04 am

Indeed Esox but after 7 years in the chair the founder of Air Asia, ranked best low cost airline in the world as well as being Malaysia's largest, is incapable of delivering a football stadium or training ground. I know we could do a lot worse than Fernandes but that's in comparison to other football chairmen who, by any standard, are shady in the extreme.

I'm just tired of the excuses and generalities Fernandes spins. I get the sense he's rather tired of QPR as well. Maybe that's why he's reverting to operating a business model he knows best; a low cost one. Not that QPR has been a cheap business to run, and the FFP fine will sting a bit too. But he and his mates either can't or won't invest the kind of resources QPR needs simply to stay afloat. I just hope the "buy 'em low sell 'em high" strategy works. The club will have to find an extra £10m plus from season 2019/20 onwards.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:14 am

dm wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:04 am
Indeed Esox but after 7 years in the chair the founder of Air Asia, ranked best low cost airline in the world as well as being Malaysia's largest, is incapable of delivering a football stadium or training ground. I know we could do a lot worse than Fernandes but that's in comparison to other football chairmen who, by any standard, are shady in the extreme.

I'm just tired of the excuses and generalities Fernandes spins. I get the sense he's rather tired of QPR as well. Maybe that's why he's reverting to operating a business model he knows best; a low cost one. Not that QPR has been a cheap business to run, and the FFP fine will sting a bit too. But he and his mates either can't or won't invest the kind of resources QPR needs simply to stay afloat. I just hope the "buy 'em low sell 'em high" strategy works. The club will have to find an extra £10m plus from season 2019/20 onwards.
I have no idea where you get that impression from, he still seems to (over) enthusiastic when it comes to talking about QPR, even when there isn't a lot of substance to the words he uses. Reverting to operating a lower cost business model would have been more down to Gnanalingam, Merudin, Hoos & Ferdinand, they are the ones who seem to be more grounded in reality when it comes to what is needed but I am sure that they would really like to see a new stadium so that they can release the shackles a bit and keep QPR profitable and in business. There is also the matter of the 100 acres of OOC still owned by the board members, I am sure and certain that they won't want to abandon the revenue possibilities in that scheme just yet. I believe DW did an analysis of the potential profits from those 100 acres and it was an eye watering figure. I am not a great lover of how Fernandes manages his public persona but I would rather have him at QPR over around 95% of the other chairmen in the FL. I would hazard that the real running of the club is now done by his co-chairman and other board members in conjunction with his senior staff.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 am
What's that all about?

Why the need?

I'm no fan of TF, but there have been plenty of fans here and elsewhere complaining that Holloway's departure hadn't been explained by the club. Presumably this was an attempt to do that. Damned if you do and all that.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?