Steve McClaren confirmed

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dbak
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Steve McClaren confirmed

Post by dbak » Fri May 18, 2018 2:34 pm

A warm welcome to Steve and his team. Really hope we can see the club move forward under his leadership he has my 100% backing

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Steve McClaren confirmed

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri May 18, 2018 2:45 pm

For how long ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 18, 2018 2:50 pm

You can't knock his statement, it's what most QPR fans would wish for. Now he needs to deliver on it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44125775
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri May 18, 2018 2:51 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 2:45 pm
For how long ?
:lol: naughty

Welcome back to Queens Park Rangers Schteve! You have my full support too, no idea how you will get on but I hope you receive the dose of good luck that you will no doubt need. Urrrrrssssss!

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri May 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Well, I am pleased.

Plenty of coaching experience, a young team to work with.

Loads of potential.

All the best Steve.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri May 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Sorry but this made me laugh, from the BBC,

Meanwhile, his spell in charge of England only lasted 18 games and he left his role with the national team after failing to qualify for Euro 2008 following a 3-2 defeat by Croatia at Wembley.

QPR director of football Les Ferdinand said McClaren had a "fantastic reputation" for coaching and developing players.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri May 18, 2018 3:02 pm

His promise to play attacking football and to win in style seems to chime with exactly what the last incumbent wanted but hey ho, we will see.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 18, 2018 3:11 pm

old pauline wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:02 pm
His promise to play attacking football and to win in style seems to chime with exactly what the last incumbent wanted but hey ho, we will see.
Awaiting the official statement regarding his backroom staff next. It will be interesting to see how many of the existing set up keep their jobs, especially Chris Ramsey, Paul Hall, Paul Furlong and Gavin Ward.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri May 18, 2018 3:34 pm

old pauline wrote:
Let's hope he delivers unlike the last incumbent

dbak
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by dbak » Fri May 18, 2018 3:46 pm

old pauline wrote:

the last incumbent was tactically useless

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Have no idea why we appointed a proven failure and why Sir Les says he has a fantastic reputation. He has a terrible reputation as can be seen on social media. Not one person outside of QPR has said it is a great appointment. In fact 100% say the exact reverse. Clearly a good coach but a shocking manager time and again. Will we ever get a good appointment i wonder. We just seem to churn thru the same old names. Next it will be Steve Cotterill, heaven help us. Or maybe Paul Hart . How about welcoming back Harry?
For me a dreadfully boring and negative appointment and please god he proves me wrong.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Fri May 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Dreadful appointment

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri May 18, 2018 4:31 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 pm
Have no idea why we appointed a proven failure and why Sir Les says he has a fantastic reputation. He has a terrible reputation as can be seen on social media. Not one person outside of QPR has said it is a great appointment. In fact 100% say the exact reverse. Clearly a good coach but a shocking manager time and again. Will we ever get a good appointment i wonder. We just seem to churn thru the same old names. Next it will be Steve Cotterill, heaven help us. Or maybe Paul Hart . How about welcoming back Harry?
For me a dreadfully boring and negative appointment and please god he proves me wrong.
Are we judging managers by their reputation on social media now ? Jesus wept.

If you measure success solely by winning trophies or getting promotions, most managers are failures most of the time. As I've pointed out elsewhere, McLaren's had his good times as well as his struggles, although admittedly his stock is pretty low at the moment.

I do agree that's it's an underwhelming appointment though, and it is straight off the "established managers" merry-go-round.

Given the reaction to Holloway's departure and McLaren's arrival, it looks as if he will be on the back foot from day one, which doesn't bode well.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri May 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Lets see where we are after 10 games....

A lot weren't happy when Colin rolled up in March 2010....

I didn't like the way Ollie was dispatched with but I'm not going to cut my nose to spite my face by taking an opinion until we are into the new season...

I've already bought my season tickets and will look forward to the new season with renewed vigor....

whatever the season and all that...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri May 18, 2018 4:43 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:31 pm
ANDREW1302 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 pm
Are we judging managers by their reputation on social media now ? Jesus wept.

If you measure success solely by winning trophies or getting promotions, most managers are failures most of the time. As I've pointed out elsewhere, McLaren's had his good times as well as his struggles, although admittedly his stock is pretty low at the moment.

I do agree that's it's an underwhelming appointment though, and it is straight off the "established managers" merry-go-round.

Given the reaction to Holloway's departure and McLaren's arrival, it looks as if he will be on the back foot from day one, which doesn't bode well.
Agreed.

That said, we've not replaced a world beater or bright young prospect. I think he has the potential to do well and hopefully, his coaching experience is something that can be leveraged across the entire set-up. It's a real shame he won't get a chance from so many, who seem to be itching for him to fail as much as they were Ramsey and JFH.