How long....

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

How long....

Post by Stans left foot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Has Ollie got?

Although I'm frustrated like most I guess, at his irresponsible selections, then dumb questioning of why he did it, I still like the bloke and from my uninformed viewpoint, think he's doing a good job.
All be it in difficult circumstances.

This season was a freebie really, once we were assured of status in the league. But beyond that I wonder.

Presuming we have an OK start to next season he's in charge. They'll be an expectation I suspect that Smyth Manning and others "can do it" in which case 1/2 way in the league is a minimum. If the Board spend ( from Lord knows where, but lets suppose they do ), with it'll come expectation.

Given a background where the average stay in a football managers job is what? 3 seasons max, then his position becomes unsure.

I only say all this as I keep telling myself that with longevity comes success and proper planning, stability and nurturing of talent. The Holy Trinity that is Ollie, Ramsey and Ferdinand look to be on the right path, for a club of our scale and place. be a shame to cock it up.

I wonder what chance he'll get from either The Board or perhaps more importantly from the "supporters"...?
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

AscotR
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: How long....

Post by AscotR » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 pm

I think our end of season form has bought Ollie a little more time in the hot seat.

There was a time that I felt that he has taken the team as far as he can and a fresh face, coupled with sensible rebuilding, were what would be the impetuous to push the team forward. In his defence, he has settled the ship in a way that many others would not have managed.

If we were to replace him, the big question would be: with whom? No money, inconsistent team, smallish fan base all make us an unattractive choice to anyone but a 'tried and failed' manager (see 'Arry) or one so up-and-coming that it would be a huge risk (see: JFH).

Was a bit gutted to see Paul Clement end up with the fake hoops as I felt he could be a good fit.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Jesus,you are trolling right?

Put it this way, given the the financial limitations he has performed miracles.At the start of the season yes the performances were not good and Rangers were struggling to score goals.Now there is at least hope with the introduction of a few hungry young players and some of the performances have been outstanding.

Give the man some credit and admit him and the coaching staff have done well.

Very well

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Need to let in less goals though.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Rumour has it .. 8"
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm

There should be no discussion. Ollie has done a good job and there is no need to discuss his departure. Sometimes I don't think people appreciate how hard he has worked. And I say that as someone who wasn't sure about him being appointed in the first place. Yes, he has made a few poor selections at times but I think they pale into significance in comparison with the rapport and guidance that he has given to the players and the team.

To be honest I thought the thread was going to be about how long Joey Barton would last at Fleetwood
Come on you Sooopa ........

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 am

He's done an OK job overall, and the emergence of Smyth and Eze in the last few months has given us cause for optimism.

Big summer coming up though. It looks like Onuoha and Robinson will off, and I imagine we may lose one or two others that we would prefer to hang on to. Smart recruitment will be key, or we risk slipping backwards next season.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Honestly, I think we have been poor for the majority of the season, but something's changed recently which has had a positive effect on our results and performances. We've picked up 16 points out of a possible 30 in the past 10 games (compared to 37 points/33 games).
That's 1.7 points per game instead of 1.1 we had previously. It's still not great, but like Ux says above, the rise of the youngsters provides plenty of optimism.

Despite the increase in form, I still wouldn't renew Olly for another season, as overall I think his tenure has been poor.
In saying that, if we were going to shuffle him, his successor would need to be lined up in advance - which I'm skeptical of and it would have to be a calculated gamble who was an upgrade on Olly.

All that said, I would wager he'll extend his contract.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:09 am

deadendjob wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:29 pm
Honestly, I think we have been poor for the majority of the season, but something's changed recently which has had a positive effect on our results and performances. We've picked up 16 points out of a possible 30 in the past 10 games (compared to 37 points/33 games).
That's 1.7 points per game instead of 1.1 we had previously. It's still not great, but like Ux says above, the rise of the youngsters provides plenty of optimism.

Despite the increase in form, I still wouldn't renew Olly for another season, as overall I think his tenure has been poor.
In saying that, if we were going to shuffle him, his successor would need to be lined up in advance - which I'm skeptical of and it would have to be a calculated gamble who was an upgrade on Olly.

All that said, I would wager he'll extend his contract.
I think they'll extend....his Achilles heel is of cause tactics and perhaps stubborness. From the club's point of view though we've eventually finished higher than expected, cut the wage bill and brought the youngsters through. As long as he doesn't go back to wingbacks next season, I don't mind too much although Wenger is now available. :wink:

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am

old pauline wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm
There should be no discussion. Ollie has done a good job and there is no need to discuss his departure. Sometimes I don't think people appreciate how hard he has worked. And I say that as someone who wasn't sure about him being appointed in the first place. Yes, he has made a few poor selections at times but I think they pale into significance in comparison with the rapport and guidance that he has given to the players and the team.

To be honest I thought the thread was going to be about how long Joey Barton would last at Fleetwood
I remember fans saying the same about Mackie. How hard he has worked on the pitch. Pretty sure if I was paid that much money, I would work my nuts off. Doesn't mean I,m any good.

I cannot see any changes in the management at the moment and although I'm not a big fan of Ollie's management style, that's fine with me. In my opinion, the youngsters have saved his job, and who ever told him to revert to a 442.
His post match comments are just not funny any more, again just my opinion.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am

There are plenty of managers who don't appear to work hard enough in my opinion. Hughes and Redknapp (two of our previous incumbents, for example) either don't/didn't work hard enough, or they employed the wrong methods. You can't label that against Ollie (in my opinion).
Come on you Sooopa ........

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 pm

old pauline wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am
There are plenty of managers who don't appear to work hard enough in my opinion. Hughes and Redknapp (two of our previous incumbents, for example) either don't/didn't work hard enough, or they employed the wrong methods. You can't label that against Ollie (in my opinion).
Good grief yes....some managers just sit there and take the money....
I'm just not a fan of Ollie as a manager, but, in current circumstances, will back him, as have the board. I would rather have 10 Ollie's to a Hughes or Redknapp( just for the record :D )