SA Road being excavated.

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: SA Road being excavated.

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 pm
Maybe I just take a different view? ethink

I thought the main idea of moving to a super new stadium was to, er, increase capacity/ match-day income. And do a bit more hospitality, and build a few houses.

The irony of your reply is that I myself have pointed out that revenue from none of this will make a very significant difference to the club's balance sheet in the long term - that will come from Sky money, sponsorship and our inextricably linked league status. On the other hand, the damage to the club's history and 'soul' of abandoning out home is potentially incalculable.

All of which might make more critically minded supporters at least somewhat sceptical about what Hoos'/the Board's real agenda is re upping sticks. (Of course, they could all just 'love QPR', and I'm off my soft head.)
So for the benefit of us sheeple, what do you imagine the Board's real agenda is ?

It's certainly not Hoos' agenda, as Fernandes was talking up the possibility of a new ground soon after he walked in the door, 6.5 years ago. Hoos has been here for 3 and is simply doing the board's bidding. I suspect he will move on soon anyway.

I don't understand what possible damage we can do to the club's history by moving. We'll always have our memories of LR and will create new ones at a new ground. The potential loss of "soul" is a much more subjective thing, which ebbs and flows. In my eyes, we lost it for a significant part of the last decade, but thankfully it wasn't terminal.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 am
:roll: THE STADIUM WILL NOT BE USED JUST FOR FOOTBALL.
WHY CAN'T THE EXISTING STADIUM BE USED FOR OTHER THINGS? Like before. Remember?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:34 am

It's a pipedream waiting to be a nightmare. IMO of course. Hope I'm wrong.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 pm

The other thread on the new ground was a good one.

A moot subject really as I don't see anything happening anytime soon so chill and prepare for another knee crushing; avoid the loo's season.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Montag wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 am
:roll: THE STADIUM WILL NOT BE USED JUST FOR FOOTBALL.
WHY CAN'T THE EXISTING STADIUM BE USED FOR OTHER THINGS? Like before. Remember?
Because it is no longer fit for purpose. Getting the H&S certificates for extra capacity would be one obstacle I can think of straight away. The fact that we can't even host our own POTY do at the ground should indicate that the hospitality/ conference side is now lacking too. Do you notthink that the club would be looking to pull in any finance from anywhere if they could? They aren't missing out to piss the fans off I am certain.
By the strangest of coincidences, I just saw this on LFW.
"Re-devloping Loftus Road on 14:16 - Apr 16 by bob566

was it hoos who said LR wasn't a viable option as it's making no money off other events.

It used to. McGuigans fight, the recent Grenfell concert I know it was for charity but it showed that LR could be used for other things.

That's one of several reasons.

By 'money off other events' he doesn't mean the big one off stuff on the pitch. He means that most stadiums have conference areas, restaurants, space that's used seven days a week. We don't even have anywhere to host our own POTY dinner. FFP makes it even more vital for a stadium to be producing some money for you and ours does the opposite, it costs more to run/police/upkeep than it brings in in ticket money.

The dreaded Green Code and health and safety regulations are changing and tightening all the time. Pinch points like the entrance to the Upper Loft from SAR mean that even if we could somehow increase capacity (with safe standing) we wouldn't be allowed to do it. We're putting 18,000 on a four and a half acre site. They'd consider double that a "tight site" for a stadium of that size if it was built now."
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Having been in the hospitality bit, I find it odd that they couldn’t host it there. They certainly could’ve hosted something there.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Esox, I appreciate you pointing out the technical reasons for moving. That's what I wanted someone to do. I'm still not entirely convinced that we couldn't do more with what we've got. Would it not be possible to replace the LR, ER and SE stands and bring them up to the size of SAR? I know the residents would kick up merry hell but they all knew there was a football club there when they arrived. We could also make the hospitality suites more versatile. I know all this would've been far easier if the land behind the school end hadn't been sold and I also know I'm a sentimental old fool but I'd rather stay if it were at all possible. That said, there's no getting away from the appalling toilet facilities of ER and as RBee says the knee-crushing experience (which is why I sit in the front row of the paddock).

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Montag wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm
Esox, I appreciate you pointing out the technical reasons for moving. That's what I wanted someone to do. I'm still not entirely convinced that we couldn't do more with what we've got. Would it not be possible to replace the LR, ER and SE stands and bring them up to the size of SAR? I know the residents would kick up merry hell but they all knew there was a football club there when they arrived. We could also make the hospitality suites more versatile. I know all this would've been far easier if the land behind the school end hadn't been sold and I also know I'm a sentimental old fool but I'd rather stay if it were at all possible. That said, there's no getting away from the appalling toilet facilities of ER and as RBee says the knee-crushing experience (which is why I sit in the front row of the paddock).
AFAIK there are numerous covenants preventing building up Loftus Road and with the prices of property the cost of buying all the houses in Bloemfontein Road, Batman Close etc. would be prohibitive. The Emirates(Arsenal) was nearly derailed over Ancient Lights laws.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 pm
Montag wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm
AFAIK there are numerous covenants preventing building up Loftus Road and with the prices of property the cost of buying all the houses in Bloemfontein Road, Batman Close etc. would be prohibitive. The Emirates(Arsenal) was nearly derailed over Ancient Lights laws.
I think the club used to own a few houses in Loftus road which were used as accomodation for the players. No doubt they sold them for a few thousand back in the day. If we still had them, with property prices being what they are, we could sell 'em and buy a striker !

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 am

My father took me to the ground, one school-holiday morning, pre-season in the very late 1950s. Behind the open bank, where those diggers are photographed, the players were training on a rough, gravelly surface. We met Alec Farmer, a director at the time, who was charming and friendly and most memorably, Tony Ingham - I still have his signed photo. I was, of course, totally in awe - mostly for meeting Tony Ingham, but, also at being encouraged to walk across the pitch at the Loftus Road end.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am

kernowhoop wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 am
My father took me to the ground, one school-holiday morning, pre-season in the very late 1950s. Behind the open bank, where those diggers are photographed, the players were training on a rough, gravelly surface. We met Alec Farmer, a director at the time, who was charming and friendly and most memorably, Tony Ingham - I still have his signed photo. I was, of course, totally in awe - mostly for meeting Tony Ingham, but, also at being encouraged to walk across the pitch at the Loftus Road end.
Nice story, kernowhoop. Out of such experiences grows a life long loyalty to QPR.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:58 am

dm wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am
kernowhoop wrote:
Nice story, kernowhoop. Out of such experiences grows a life long loyalty to QPR.
So true and nothing can be done about it. No cure and none sought! :wink:
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:58 am
dm wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am
kernowhoop wrote:
So true and nothing can be done about it. No cure and none sought! :wink:
I know - it's a wonderfully awful affliction!

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Very nice story indeed kernowhoop. In July 1981 my friend Colin and I went down to Loftus Road to renew our season tickets and after doing so asked if we could see the new recently layed plastic pitch. ''Of course'' came the reply, ''no problem.'' We were let in to the stadium and left to our own devices to walk around the dressing rooms before walking out on to the pitch. We had brought a ball with us and long story short within the hour there were around a couple of dozen of us playing on the pitch from kids to ex players who had all come down hoping to see the pitch.

The Loftus Road end was kind of open anyway as the finishing touches were being applied to the new stand. Whilst playing on the pitch we had to avoid a large dog poo in the centre circle, we weren't the only ones keen to try out the new facilities.

I doubt we would be able to do that today.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:31 pm

I called the club up back in 2012 a couple of days before the arsenal home game on the off chance they’d let me and my dad do the cross bar challenge at half time to celebrate his stag do. I thought it would be too late but I’d try my luck anyway.

To my surprise they said yes. I’m ashamed to say that I failed to even get the ball off the ground to my eternal shame. My shoes were too big and I’d had a couple of sharpeners before KO, that’s my excuse.

We were so tipsy that they had to usher off the pitch so the second half could start. We were too busy shaking hands (and even embracing) our heroes! I think we were still buzzing off the promotion season. Good memories!

But I guess my point is that the club can still be very accommodating to fans even today. Fernandes gets a lot of stick, but I think he’s always had the fans best interests at heart.