Holloway-go now

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Holloway-go now

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:50 pm

A '7 goal thriller' - wow, that's one way to spin today's fiasco! How much is Ian Taylor paying you?

Just seen Ollie's post-match interview on the Offish, and it concerns me to say the least. Starts by blaming the players for 'not doing their jobs' in an 'inexplicable' way, then trots out his repeated line that it 'wasn't us' out there ( aniwall it was us, it's always us, Ian), and finally, and most worryingly, bewails how hard it is to change tactics/formation when it's all going wrong, and how we were always going to be vulnerable to their set-up in any case.

All in all, a more damning indictment of the failures of both players and management would be difficult to imagine. aniclap
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Better or worse who cares. Its being maintained with a lot of players having left and new young ones being brought in. If we stay up and finish 12-16th next season it will be an improvement due to budget and age of the squad being brought down. We wont be close to the top six for an couple of seasons yet.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Exactly this ^^^. It was a bad result and due to circumstances we won't be changing manager or playing personnel anytime soon. It's going to take 5 or 6 seasons minimum before we shake off the harm done from the "mercenary years" and some of that may well be in League 1. If that happens, so be it, all we can do is turn up and cheer them on.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Yup - And I saw us win a lot od games in L1 and really enjoyed it ss a fan. It really isnt is distaster.

Southgate Hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Southgate Hoop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:17 pm
7 goal thriller, 2 QPR goals in one game and some people are still complaining. Get over it FFS. I've seen better at QPR and I've seen worse. I've already got my S/T for next season as staying away won't improve anything. The only complaint I have is that Costly Pantyliner wasn't sent off for time wasting, from the 4th minute FFS.
7 goal thriller! What part of conceding 5 goals at home is thrilling :lol:

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:50 pm

Southgate Hoop wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
7 goal thriller, 2 QPR goals in one game and some people are still complaining. Get over it FFS. I've seen better at QPR and I've seen worse. I've already got my S/T for next season as staying away won't improve anything. The only complaint I have is that Costly Pantyliner wasn't sent off for time wasting, from the 4th minute FFS.
Perspective. :D

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:50 pm
Southgate Hoop wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Perspective. :D
It wasn't "far away" enough...
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:56 pm

TBF, Forest scored a couple of good goals which a neutral would have appreciated... me not so much but, it's accept it and move on as the alternative is too dark :-)

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:56 pm
Exactly this ^^^. It was a bad result and due to circumstances we won't be changing manager or playing personnel anytime soon. It's going to take 5 or 6 seasons minimum before we shake off the harm done from the "mercenary years" and some of that may well be in League 1. If that happens, so be it, all we can do is turn up and cheer them on.
See you all back here in 2024 then lads as by then we should have turned a corner and be playing competitive football again albeit via League 1.

OR we could sack the idiot currently trying (and failing) to coach the team (as he's way out of his depth) and get in someone (i.e. ANYONE) to take over. And really, I mean ANYONE with half a footballing brain would do a better job. Ollie & Bircham are not modern day management material.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:46 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 pm
See you all back here in 2024 then lads as by then we should have turned a corner and be playing competitive football again albeit via League 1.

OR we could sack the idiot currently trying (and failing) to coach the team (as he's way out of his depth) and get in someone (i.e. ANYONE) to take over. And really, I mean ANYONE with half a footballing brain would do a better job. Ollie & Bircham are not modern day management material.
aniclap

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:03 am

HOLLOWAY GO-NAD!!
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:38 am

I hear what people are saying about the last goals, when we effectively had two at the back. But to a certain extent we put that on ourselves by failing with our starting formation (although it could have been different if Smith's header which hit the bar and bounced down on the line had gone in).

I'm quite a fan of Ollie's 5-3-2, 3-5-2 normally but yesterday we completely gave Forest both sides with Bidwell at LWB and Wzsolek at RWB. I felt both players shortcomings were badly exposed and we needed traditional full backs with Furling and Robinson in the roles.

Its easy to be wise after the event but I definitely think Ollie needs to change things around in those positions for the next two games.
Come on you Sooopa ........

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 am

In the context of the whole season I think Ollie is doing okay - certainly nothing that suggests he deserves sacking IMO.

Our defence is so error-prone it’s just ridiculous. And it’s not a management thing, the likes of Nedum and Lynch have thrown many a gift to the opposition under different managers.

At the other end, if we had a striker capable of just hitting the target the table would read so differently. Again, that’s not a criticism, it’s just a fact that this squad isn’t good enough to be competing at the other end of the table - or even close to it.

For as long as the FFP cloud hangs above us, trying to bring through the youngsters is as good as it’s going to get. In that sense, I think that’s one of the few bright sparks of the season as a number of them look very promising.

All that being said, I think Holloway’s tactics and the set up yesterday was pretty scandalous. It was a carbon copy of the game up in Nottingham - and we played straight into their hands. I don’t want Holloway sacked and don’t think he should be - but he got it very, very wrong yesterday. No defending that at all.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:24 am

The expectation around what QPR now is i think is a large part of the problem. We are now the 8th team in London and that is a reflection not only of ability but also resources. TF usual rubbish about going in the right direction etc is simply cover for the fact that unless we discover a bunch of wonderful youngsters we are not going to be better that where we are now.
On the basis of the above who would be better than Holloway who would want the job? There are not many if any names that come immediatly to mind. I think Holloway has some good attributes but desperately needs someone with better tactical nouse. I feel Bircham is in a very similar mould to Holloway and he maybe should be changed. Yesterday it seemed to me that Forest were set up such that they appreciated everything went straight to Smith [ obvious and please can we change the kick off routine] and they played slightly in front of our back four and in front of our midfield. They pushed forward a few meters and as a result we were left wide open time after time. And what happened to the pressing game? Holloway keeps talking about it but i constantly see other sides who do it better than us.
Overall though i don't think we have any other option than stick with Holloway but still unsure that he will keep us up. This team is fully capable of losing 6 in a row. We keep hoping about our youngsters but truth is so far we don't have any who you see a Prem side coming in for. The end of the season with be interesting. Can we afford to keep such us Chief and Robinson? Will there be bids for Freeman and Smithies? Right now i feel next season is looking more challenging than this one .....and then there is FFP!

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 am

old pauline wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:38 am
I hear what people are saying about the last goals, when we effectively had two at the back. But to a certain extent we put that on ourselves by failing with our starting formation (although it could have been different if Smith's header which hit the bar and bounced down on the line had gone in).

I'm quite a fan of Ollie's 5-3-2, 3-5-2 normally but yesterday we completely gave Forest both sides with Bidwell at LWB and Wzsolek at RWB. I felt both players shortcomings were badly exposed and we needed traditional full backs with Furling and Robinson in the roles.

Its easy to be wise after the event but I definitely think Ollie needs to change things around in those positions for the next two games.
Nobody is being wise after the event. We all know we have not the players for 5 across the back.