Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by DAVEf » Mon May 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Mark C wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 pm
interesting seeing all of the the different viewpoints on here and how quick people are to shout each other down when in all honesty nobody really knows what will happen when we move.

As the records show its a complete mixed bag in terms of the future fortunes of the clubs listed as to what happens to it once it leaves it stadium for a newer one. There is no exact science to it so all of the pontificating amongst some seems a little pointless as nobody can be sure what will happen to us if/when we do up sticks and leave Loftus Road.

The only thing I really conclude from it all is that Loftus Road, as much as I love it, is a complete and utter f*cking dump by moderns football stadium standards. It is not going to be able to attract any extra people to it as the tourists type visitors would want something that offers more in the way of amenities, floating fans want value for money (in terms of the quality of football and the price of a ticket) and the hardcore of regular fans gradually decreasing due to age/competition from other entertainment options.

Financially the outlay is going to be a huge burden, there's no escaping that for any club, but what they need to do (IMO) is make it so they can tick off as many of the following 3 points as possible to maximise the potential income and fill it up as frequently as possible:

1. Make the stadium multi-purpose - bring in extra revenue and if possible find a way so that other sporting events that would utilise a stadium can be accommodated at any time with no impact to the playing surface.

2. Put a roof on it....but make it so that it's not used EVER for football, it just ties into point one above and makes the venue more desirable given the options for a 30k stadium in England with one are almost none

3. Price wise, although I doubt that financially you can do both, they need to either offer subsidised pricing to the fans we already have in order to keep them coming OR offer the same kind of incentive for new fans. My personal preference would be the latter as you're likely to generate more money and bring in more people but I know you'd potentially piss off the usual droning bastards who think it's 'their' club....maybe give them a gold seat or something so they can continue to feel morally superior to the ones who they know we need to survive but want to feel superior too.
I'd say calling new stadiums a "mixed bag" is buying into myth.

Clubs with more modern stadiums have been and are performing better than those with older ones. Financially and in football terms. Certainly comparing the same 100 clubs now and 25 years ago.

And it's not just about getting fans in through the gates on matchdays --- so let's bin that regularly brought up myth too.

QPR POTY awards? Didn't happen. Nowhere to stage them at a price that made financial sense.

Christmas ---- How much can be made having a couple of large modern function rooms that can be let out to corporate parties etc (do the catering and really rake it in).

Summer ---- Weddings (gold-mines for those places that can provide facilities) and catering franchises can be sold off and still make loads.

Church halls etc are old hat --- Companies, parents, charities etc etc want amenities and facilities that are modern. And they pay well. Do that right and add in League money, TV money, sponsorship and advertising and match day secondary spend and the club could almost let fans in for free (they wouldn't --- but they could).

PS Regularly re-sell the naming rights every couple of years and owe money to banks. Let them carry the burden because if you owe them enough they will never complain (because they can't afford to).
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon May 29, 2017 10:13 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 7:09 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 12:24 pm
Bournemouth are doing ok with a crap stadium. Palace is pretty naff too
Bournemouth are looking to move away from that stadium and Palace are imminently
going to extensively refurbish Selhurst Park.
Bournemouth still have better loos than us...
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Tue May 30, 2017 1:55 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:13 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
SheepRanger wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 12:24 pm
Bournemouth are doing ok with a crap stadium. Palace is pretty naff too
Bournemouth are looking to move away from that stadium and Palace are imminently
Necessary when you know might have to spend an hour or more getting out of the car park.

Although, at some point, our toilets actually won an award.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Tue May 30, 2017 11:40 am

DAVEf wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:55 am
Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:13 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:

Necessary when you know might have to spend an hour or more getting out of the car park.

A couple of seasons ago I noticed that they had actually painted over a dead spider in one of the Ellersie bogs - admittedly before their upgrade from "Black Hole of Calcutta" status.
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue May 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:40 am
DAVEf wrote:
A couple of seasons ago I noticed that they had actually painted over a dead spider in one of the Ellersie bogs..
Yes, I believe the award was for second place in the Turner prize that year
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

offamushinshepherdsbush
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by offamushinshepherdsbush » Tue May 30, 2017 7:58 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:11 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:40 am
DAVEf wrote:
A couple of seasons ago I noticed that they had actually painted over a dead spider in one of the Ellersie bogs..
Yes, I believe the award was for second place in the Turner prize that year
Number 2 place?
“Give me a ----ing player. A good player.”

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:43 pm

I just read a stat that Reading haven't named a squad without one of their academy players in it for over 9 years. Fake or not, that is quite impressive.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.