Masterson isn't ready

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Masterson isn't ready

Post by dm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Warburton: Masterson not ready for QPR first team yet: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/war ... e-selected

Whereas I understand what MW is saying here it does beg questions like; How much development did he think Masterson needed when he was signed? Was he happy to go into the season with only 3 senior CBs?

This isn't really a moan. Yes, we had a great summer of tranfer dealings. Yes, it's an enjoyable season so far. MW has done a fantastic job so far, but he's not perfect. Our defence isn't really good enough even at full strength and I think it increasingly looks like we could have done with a 4th senior CB in the squad.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Masterson isn't ready

Post by White Duck » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Masterson may not be good enough yet but surely he should be around the first team squad: would've made sense to have him on the bench on Saturday as we had no other defenders on there. If not then loan him out in January to get some proper experience.
Lex Talionis........

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm
Warburton: Masterson not ready for QPR first team yet: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/war ... e-selected

Whereas I understand what MW is saying here it does beg questions like; How much development did he think Masterson needed when he was signed? Was he happy to go into the season with only 3 senior CBs?

This isn't really a moan. Yes, we had a great summer of tranfer dealings. Yes, it's an enjoyable season so far. MW has done a fantastic job so far, but he's not perfect. Our defence isn't really good enough even at full strength and I think it increasingly looks like we could have done with a 4th senior CB in the squad.
We did try to sign McKenna, albeit it was all very last minute. You could also argue that we have 4 senior CBs in Barbet, Hall, Leistner and Cameron, depending on where you view the latter's best position to be.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:14 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 pm
We did try to sign McKenna, albeit it was all very last minute. You could also argue that we have 4 senior CBs in Barbet, Hall, Leistner and Cameron, depending on where you view the latter's best position to be.
In his career Cameron's played more games at right back than any other position, but you're right he has played a fair few at centre back too.

Ball has played more games at centre back than any other position so MW will have him and Cameron marked down as cover. Nonetheless, I still feel we're light in that position.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:48 pm

We are light there but then we had to make compromises and make do. As Ux says, we went after Mckenna, i'm sure MW would have liked another but that doesn't mean one was available that was good enough and was the right fit for our transfer policy. Agree that he should go out on loan in Jan, playing in the u23s won't be enough to develop him or properly judge his ability.

les demoiselles d'avignon
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by les demoiselles d'avignon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:46 pm

I was watching Liverpool the other day - they manage to play four at the back and both full backs well forward, practically on the touchlines. I guess they manage this by playing the three midfielders very narrow and defensively aware. So could this be the way forward? (PS I know Liverpool have quite good players).