Just got back

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Just got back

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Our first victory in Hull since 1970! So by default, our first ever win at the KCOM Stadium.

We were comfortably the better side through much of the game, so it was disappointing to go 1-0 down on half an hour when Hull went route one. Inevitably it was Bowen who scored, though it was a good finish. Not much Kelly could do about it.

In years gone by, QPR going a goal down away from home really only meant one thing, but not with this current team. Just before the break Manning shot from the edge of the box and found the corner. 1-1 at halftime. I felt we weren't quite firing in the first half despite playing the better football, something wasn't quite working and passes were not always finding their man.

Just after half time one of their players was down for a long time - maybe 5 minutes, which contributed to the 8 minutes of injury time at the end.

Wells put one over the bar when at full stretch, and the keeper nowhere - he was only 3 yards from goal too. Damn and blast! But we were still making chances, and looking threatening when we went forward.

Step forward Eberechi Eze. He glided into the box, was fouled and we got a pen. I thought we had agreed Manning was the penalty taker? But he wasn't anywhere near, and Eze took the ball (I got very nervous at this point). No need to be ... A stuttering run, he sent the keeper the wrong way and rolled the ball into the net. I thought the ref might insist on a retake, as there were lots of players from both teams encroaching - almost up to the penalty spot. But no, he let it stand. Ten minutes later and another jinking run into the box, Eze went down, same result. Surely it would be Manning this time, but no ... Eze again - he lashed it into the corner. Cue a mass exodus from the home fans.

During the eight minutes of injury time, they scored again, which made me nervous, but actually, it was fine.

They had no answer to Eze, he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, although the home MOTM was their keeper (which tells you something). It feels like we are maybe one piece of the jigsaw missing, a player to take us from being very good to being awesome. I don't know who that player would be, but if we find him ... Watch out!

Only 28 points from the magic 50 now (that's for the pessimists out there). :D

A really good day out, maybe 1,000 Rangers fans (pure guesswork), excellent atmosphere and I drove home with a huge smile on my face.

I forgot to say ... for the first time this season - no cards for our team!

One last thing ... the crowd of 10,285 was the lowest to have seen us play in the league this season.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

volpone
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Just got back

Post by volpone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Great report. And well done to everyone like yourself who travelled up there.

Apart from the main main Eze, who else stood out?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:03 pm

Thanks for the report Zenith, glad you enjoyed the game.
Watching the Rangers has been a largely joyless experience for much of the recent seasons but the manager has performed wonders putting this side together.
If we could just iron out the snags in defence we could well be playoff contenders. I wonder if this could be achieved without new personnel ? Looking at the players individually they don't seem too bad but as a unit it's not currently working. The goalkeeping position is still not settled of course. I have a hunch Lumley will return to claim the spot.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 pm

volpone wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Chair had another good game
BOS showed glimpses of his undoubted talent
Manning had another excellent game
Leistner played well

In fact everyone put in a shift. I don't think there could have been too many complaints if the margin of victory had been 2,3 or even 4 goals.

BBC stats showed we had 60% possession and beat them on shots, shots on target, corners, less fouls committed than them too.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 pm

volpone wrote:

Leistner played well

In fact everyone put in a shift. I don't think there could have been too many complaints if the margin of victory had been 2,3 or even 4 goals.

BBC stats showed we had 60% possession and beat them on shots, shots on target, corners, less fouls committed than them too.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

volpone
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by volpone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:23 pm

MW said in post-match that Joe Lumley would be a Premier League keeper one day. Man management there.

222gers wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:03 pm
Thanks for the report Zenith, glad you enjoyed the game.
Watching the Rangers has been a largely joyless experience for much of the recent seasons but the manager has performed wonders putting this side together.
If we could just iron out the snags in defence we could well be playoff contenders. I wonder if this could be achieved without new personnel ? Looking at the players individually they don't seem too bad but as a unit it's not currently working. The goalkeeping position is still not settled of course. I have a hunch Lumley will return to claim the spot.

volpone
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by volpone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Thank you. 👍
ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 pm
volpone wrote:

Leistner played well

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:15 am

Good one Zenith, well done all who went

I'll be missing tomorrow night as abroad but did scan a few reports and the Hull FC supporters site for a bit of quick feedback. ( and always good for a laugh )

Apart from wanting to break Eze's legs ( why - if you come to watch a match and see talent from either side ??) and have a moan about West London being a desolate scum of a place - which I found a little rich coming from people living in HULL!! they clearly had little to cheer, indeed as you say, their goal keeper being MoM - which, when you consider he let in 3..... :roll:

Anyway, less about them, more about us.
What a lovely team /squad we've now got. I know many out there always say "how hard can it be " - usually me - but really we look like a well organized outfit and for any supporter seeing your team putting in a shift week in week out is a joy.

One or two comments about Eze, and others leaving us from other climes....why would they at this stage of the season - for what. they're not top 6 or top 8 level team so there's every chance a lesser team will be in trouble, even Everton for example, where's the fun in that? At their ages they have time to mature with us and long may it continue.

Jeez, it's been a very long time since we've been this consistent, long may it continue.....

thanks again Zenith, your Rrrs etc
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).