Page 1 of 3

Ball tampering

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 am
by 222gers
The Aussies in disgrace for ball tampering.....I'm amazed this goes on with multiple cameras covering play. The chances of getting away with it seem remote plus of course it's a disgrace to cricket.
I'm one of those that hangs on to the romantic notion that cricket is still an honourable game although more and more it's going the way of other sports.
I didn't need any of this when I played, it was my slower ball that used to get 'em. Unplayable they said. :wink:

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:36 am
by BiscuitRanger
222gers wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 am
The Aussies in disgrace for ball tampering.....I'm amazed this goes on with multiple cameras covering play. The chances of getting away with it seem remote plus of course it's a disgrace to cricket.
I'm one of those that hangs on to the romantic notion that cricket is still an honourable game although more and more it's going the way of other sports.
I didn't need any of this when I played, it was my slower ball that used to get 'em. Unplayable they said. :wink:
I had to explain to the girlfriend that the convicts are genetically predisposed to cheat.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:22 pm
by Damien
222gers wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 am
The Aussies in disgrace for ball tampering.....I'm amazed this goes on with multiple cameras covering play. The chances of getting away with it seem remote plus of course it's a disgrace to cricket.
I'm one of those that hangs on to the romantic notion that cricket is still an honourable game although more and more it's going the way of other sports.
I didn't need any of this when I played, it was my slower ball that used to get 'em. Unplayable they said. :wink:
Australia have been pushing the boundaries(pardon the pun) of the beautiful game for too long. Glad they have finally been had. Don't even understand why they need to cheat as they are a great team already. Like you say there seems to be a "win at all costs" ethos in modern sport. They aren't alone in nefarious practices... but it rich justice that they have been found out.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:55 pm
by 222gers
I don't know about previous ball tampering by the Aussies but they have always been known for sledging and of course the despicable and infamous under arm delivery incident.
I gather Smith been removed for the rest of the series but should really be chucked out altogether. Don't know what ‘Lord’ Ted Dexter would have thought. There again we had the infamous Body Line tour many years back so we are not blameless.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:20 pm
by Damien
222gers wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:55 pm
I don't know about previous ball tampering by the Aussies but they have always been known for sledging and of course the despicable and infamous under arm delivery incident.
I gather Smith been removed for the rest of the series but should really be chucked out altogether. Don't know what ‘Lord’ Ted Dexter would have thought. There again we had the infamous Body Line tour many years back so we are not blameless.
True. No one is blameless, but the Aussies just seem that little bit more comfortable with it. Not at home though, as the reaction has been furious.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:22 am
by WA Hoop
Damien wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:20 pm
222gers wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:55 pm
I don't know about previous ball tampering by the Aussies but they have always been known for sledging and of course the despicable and infamous under arm delivery incident.
I gather Smith been removed for the rest of the series but should really be chucked out altogether. Don't know what ‘Lord’ Ted Dexter would have thought. There again we had the infamous Body Line tour many years back so we are not blameless.
True. No one is blameless, but the Aussies just seem that little bit more comfortable with it. Not at home though, as the reaction has been furious.
This morning they are being savaged by the media, PM and public alike. :D

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am
by westlondonlalala
So you can dry a football with a towel before throwing it to gain an advantage but you can’t touch a single strand on a cricket ball to gain an advantage?

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:01 pm
by 222gers
westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am
So you can dry a football with a towel before throwing it to gain an advantage but you can’t touch a single strand on a cricket ball to gain an advantage?
It's like comparing apples to oranges. The condition of the ball and the pitch and of course weather conditions are of the utmost importance in cricket. Different conditions suit different bowlers as the ball and pitch deteriorate and the weather changes. By scuffing the ball or damaging the seam players can artificially change the way the ball behaves.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm
by westlondonlalala
222gers wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:01 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am
So you can dry a football with a towel before throwing it to gain an advantage but you can’t touch a single strand on a cricket ball to gain an advantage?
It's like comparing apples to oranges. The condition of the ball and the pitch and of course weather conditions are of the utmost importance in cricket. Different conditions suit different bowlers as the ball and pitch deteriorate and the weather changes. By scuffing the ball or damaging the seam players can artificially change the way the ball behaves.
So in cricket your allowed to dry your hands and ball with a towel when they got sweaty & wet.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:00 pm
by 222gers
I believe one is allowed to put a little saliva on the ball but not to bring anything onto the field. I understand Denis Compton would use a little Brycreem before passing the ball on to the bowler.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 pm
by Damien
222gers wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:00 pm
I believe one is allowed to put a little saliva on the ball but not to bring anything onto the field. I understand Denis Compton would use a little Brycreem before passing the ball on to the bowler.
Apart from saliva :wink:

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:52 pm
by Damien
WA Hoop wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:22 am
Damien wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:20 pm
222gers wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:55 pm
I don't know about previous ball tampering by the Aussies but they have always been known for sledging and of course the despicable and infamous under arm delivery incident.
I gather Smith been removed for the rest of the series but should really be chucked out altogether. Don't know what ‘Lord’ Ted Dexter would have thought. There again we had the infamous Body Line tour many years back so we are not blameless.
True. No one is blameless, but the Aussies just seem that little bit more comfortable with it. Not at home though, as the reaction has been furious.
This morning they are being savaged by the media, PM and public alike. :D
I could understand but not condone lesser sides trying to even things up a bit, but the Aussies are good enough not to need to. Must be in the mentality of the team and coaches.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 pm
by 222gers
Apart from the ball tampering there is sledging which the Aussies have brought to a fine art. Must be uncomfortable for the batsmen but alot of it is very witty...”.How's your wife and my kids ?” That sort of of thing. I had a book on sledging which I've been looking for since this thread began, and was very funny, but can't find it. Little wonder that batsmen sometimes become paranoid. It's a lonely furrow to plough out there surrounded by hostility.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 am
by ActonArthur
Really enjoying this story as the self appointed judgement, pontifucators of many other countries have been utterly caught red handed. No grey areas banged to rights. What’s not to like.

Re: Ball tampering

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:22 pm
by Lee Gib
222gers wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 pm
Must be uncomfortable for the batsmen but alot of it is very witty...”.How's your wife and my kids ?”
To which in one incident Ian Botham famously replied "Wife is fine. Kids are retarded"